Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:36 AM

it seems to be very popular, however my learning experience on here and elsewhere tell me not to mess with the registry if at all possible.

Registry mechanic looks like a legit program, but I have usually stuck with the standard Antispyware, antivirus, antimalware programs recommended here. Am I missing out on using Registry mechanic?

Thanks for your experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

my learning experience on here and elsewhere tell me not to mess with the registry if at all possible.

You are correct. As the saying goes, if its not broken, don't fix it.

There are countless registry cleaners available and some are more safe than others. Using registry cleaning tools incorrectly can have disasterous effects on a system. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

I agree with, quietman7.
Unless you have a particular problem, that requires a registry edit to correct, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.

One of the problems with registry cleaners, is that no 2 are the same.
They each have different criteria, as to what constitutes a "bad" entry.
One might find stuff on your system, that won't cause problems, when removed, while another one will want to remove a file that's necessary, for a program to work.
The problem is, you won't know until it's too late, and your having to reinstall your Operating System.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications. Unless you are very confident about your knowledge of computers, and carefully review the candidates they present for removal, you can really do harm to your operating system and the applications upon which you depend.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

@ the above: You are speaking the truth, but every day you are likely to get "garbage" in your registry. Cleaning that up may drastically speed up a computer with maybe as much as 2000 faulty registry entries. I cleaned out my sisters Thunderbird computer and it was faster than my mom's after that even though my mother have better specs.

Keep your registry nice and tidy but BE CAREFUL!

MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH IT!

With thus said, this is something I try to do once a week if I remember too keep my performance at it's peak.
Posted Image

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

A few months ago RM was given version 5.0 away free, in hopes you'll upgrade to the latest version.
I used it only couple of times but now it just sits in my taskbar taking up space.
Why don't I delete it from the taskbar? I think the wrench icon looks kinda cool.
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users