Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deflib.sys Trojan/hackroot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snipa008

snipa008

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

Going to be honest, I just got this trojan or hackroot, what ever it is last night. I have not had time to really analyze the situation other than the facts. I do run the antivirus software called Avast..and this is what it tells me when it pops up, however it does not let me delete it or contain it or whatever needs to be done before shutting down after 60 seconds.

1. The file is located in my C://windows/system32/DefLib.sys
2. The file or files that have been installed cause the computer system to bring up the 60 Second auto shutdown screen...
This does not allow me much time to operate or figure things out or install really anything.

I tried right now to download the autoruns program that you guys have suggested, but it continues to say page not found.

Unfortunately I will not have access to this computer till I get home from work...which will be several hours away...but if anyone can help to point me in the right direction to get this fixed, I would greatly appreciate it...I can at least go home with a battle plan in hand and might be able to fix the situation tonight.

Please email me or give me some suggestions if you can...much appreciated.
~Snipa008

Edited by KoanYorel, 29 October 2007 - 09:46 AM.
Moved from Win Xp forum to more appropriate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe
Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
Choose your usual account.
Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

QUOTE: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/D....sys-19681.html
This file is a rootkit and may be hiding other files, processes, and registry entries on your computer.

It is strongly advised if you find this file on your computer that you post a HijackThis log.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

One or more of the identified infections is a nasty rootkit. Rootkits are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use them as part of an exploit to to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, you should immediately disconnect your computer from the Internet until your system is cleaned. All passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay and forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breech.

Although the rootkit has been identified and may be removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the rootkit has been removed the computer is now secure. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to reformat and reinstall the OS - "When should I re-format?".

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful.

Please download SDFix by AndyManchesta and save it to your desktop.
alternate download
When using this tool, you must use the use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
  • (this is the drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix).
  • DO NOT use it just yet.
Download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "No".
  • Click Close to exit the program and reboot normally.
Open the SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services or Registry Entries found then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts, the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the results file Report.txt in your next reply.
Note: If this error message is displayed when running SDFix:
The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator.
Press any key to continue...

Please go to Start Menu > Run > and type (copy/paste) the following line:
%systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\swreg IMPORT %systemdrive%\SDFix\apps\Enable_Command_Prompt.reg
Press OK and then run SDFix again.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

I received your PMs and closed the other topic you started relating to xpdx.sys. Please confine your questions in this thread and do not start new topics as that makes things confusing to anyone trying to help you.

Please download Combofix and save it directly to your Desktop <- (Important!).
If you downloaded ComboFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!
  • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan.
    They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.
  • Disconnect from the Internet.
  • Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a logfile located at C:\ComboFix.txt.
  • Post the contents of that log in your next reply.
  • You can re-enable your anti-virus when we are done cleaning your system.
* Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it is running as that may cause your system to stall/hang.
* Do NOT post the ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt unless asked.
* ComboFix may reset Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.

Do NOT use Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert, not for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could adversely impact your system and prevent it from ever starting again.

Edited by quietman7, 30 October 2007 - 06:53 PM.

#5 snipa008

snipa008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:07 PM

Probably a silly question...is the ComboFix.txt the new hijackthis log that you are looking for...guess I am not sure I understand where I am getting 2 different logs from unless I re-run the SDFix again.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:58 PM

Not a silly question. I only want to see the combofix.txt after running that tool. Its not the same as a hijackthis log which I didn't intend to ask for. I removed that part so don't worry about it for now. If we continue to have problems here, I will provide further instructions.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

snipa008 you need to be responding back in this thread not via PM.

xpdx.sys was successfully removed by CF. Are you having any further problems? How is you computer running?

#8 snipa008

snipa008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:24 AM

Computer is running fine now. Thank you for your support.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:42 AM

Good job.

Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#10 snipa008

snipa008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

Alright, I will work on getting that done when I get home from work tonight. Unfortunately that will not be for another 12 hours or so...but should be okay in the mean time. Again I thank you for your help.

I did have one more question though...currently I use AVAST Antivirus...it is a pretty decent free anti virus program...and I also use the online scan BITDEFENDER, as that does not download to your computer...do you have any better suggestions than AVAST?

Thank you,

Snipa008

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

avast is comparable to other free anti-virus programs so its fine to stick with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users