Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Loop Between 2 Errors: Winlogon.exe And User Interface Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Can't start XP. First error message is: "Winlogon.exe entry point not found. The procedure entry point AssocGetPerceivedType could not be located in dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll."

If I click thru that I get second error message: "User Interface Failure == the logon user interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load, contact your system administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL. RESTART."

I dont have a system admin, this is a home PC.

If I restart it takes me back to the first error, Winlogon.exe entry point not found. Endless loop between the two errors.

Anyone know what this means? Or how to fix??

Many thanks,

Deb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Bootup failure can be due to a variety of issues to include application faults, hardware failures, or malware. Startup failures that occur before the OS loader (Ntldr) starts could indicate missing or deleted files, or damage to the hard disk master boot record (MBR), partition table, or boot sector. If a problem occurs during startup, the system might have incompatible software or drivers, incompatible or improperly configured hardware, or corrupted system files.

If Windows XP (or 2000) refuses to start in normal mode, press F8 repeatedly right after you turn on your PC but before the Windows log-on appears and select "Last Known Good Configuration" or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began.

If, that does not work then see:
"What to Do When XP or 2000 Won't Boot".
"10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot".
"Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option"
"How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users