Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*** Stop: 0*00000024 Error On Dell Inspiron 630m With Win Xp, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luvsituk

luvsituk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:43 AM

Hi,

I am getting the following blue screen error on my laptop

*** STOP: 0*00000024 (0*001190203, 0*862F6CA0, 0*C0000102* 0*00000000)

It is preventing me from booting up in safe mode. It is also preventing me from running CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption. I dont even know how to run CHKDSK /F. I have tried the BIOS done the all the options with F2,F8 and F12, also run the diognositics which came up clean. Windows will just not load, everytime it brings me back to the blue screen.

This problem started when I was working of the battery and when the battery ran out i plugged the laptop to run of the mains. I switched on the machine which bought me to the screen I was working on everything was fine, then when i tried to log on to the net it said it had no internet connectivity, so i restarted the machine. Upon switching it on while booting up it bought me to the blue screen where the *** STOP: 0*00000024 error came up.

Now i am stuck and I need some help to fix this as I have my uni disertation on it.

Thanks in advance. Please let know if you need more details.

Luvsituk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:51 AM

Have you tried running CHKDSK from the Recovery Console?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 luvsituk

luvsituk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

How do I get to the recovery console?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:22 AM

Boot your computer using your Windows CD. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press "R".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 luvsituk

luvsituk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:03 AM

Doing it now, i'll let you know how I get on. Do you know what I am supposed to be seeing, its running but the I dont hear anything. it says Examining 74882 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi... been like that for 10min, should i leave it and wait or????

#6 luvsituk

luvsituk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Budapest for your advice, I am now back in business. I had to use another OS cd to get the console as the first one I tried seemed to be faulty. I ran CHKDSK and that has seemed to have sorted it. Do you know why this error occured in the first place??

Thanks again

Luvsituk

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

A STOP 0x24 error (shorthand for all those numbers that you wrote) is an error that involves the driver for the filesystem on your hard drive.

This can be caused by a physical problem with the disk, a problem with the file system itself, or a problem with how programs interact with the file system (among a host of other, less likely reasons).

You can check the physical problems with a utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive
You can check the file system issues by using CHKDSK
But the issues with the programs are more difficult to locate and fix - due to the sporadic nature of what's causing the problem (although CHKDSK will normally "fix" them until the next time).

For more info, you can start with this link: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users