Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Specific Network Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mmurray

mmurray

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi guys, i have 3 laptops, a desktop and a multi function printer on one network.
The desktop and printer is hard wired and the 3 laptops are wireless through a linksys wireless router.
Everything works perfectly for networking, sharing files and internet connection but one laptop.
This laptop will connect to the internet through the network but will not network for file sharing or communicate with the printer. In fact in my network places you can see all devices except this one laptop.
None of the computers show this laptop on their network, but if i run the add to network wizard it tells me it was successful, until i try and open the network. Then after a few minutes it tells me it cannot connect and that i may not have access to the administrators sttings.
Ihave tried everything i can think of to fix this problem and it wouldnt be so frustrating except for the fact that it was working properly for 2 years and then suddenly one day it stopped working.
They all have windows xp professional for operating software, and nothing on the network was changed to make it work one day and not the next.
I need some help guys. I can usually figure out basic computer problems, but i am certainly no expert.
any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Does this laptop have the same WORKGROUP name as the others??

u can check by going to My Computer>Right-Click>Propreties>Computer Name.

Check if the workgroup is the same as others.if not make it as the others in the CHANGE option.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 mmurray

mmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

yeah they have all got the same group name. I even tried setting up a new network with a new group name, but had the same results.

#4 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:30 AM

WHat about IP's are they assigned automaticly or manually??
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users