Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes After Xp Bootup Logo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jclfc

jclfc

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

After working perfectly fine, my computer suddenly decided to start 'freezing'/'hanging' after displaying the XP logo in startup.
However, for some reason I can boot into safe mode and operate the system fine from there.

I have run msconfig and changed the startup settings so nothing loads but it still doesn't work. I have ran chkdsk and a couple of anti-virus progs but still nothing. System Restore doesn't work either.

The hard disk is only two months old and, like I said, I've had no problems prior to today.

Any ideas?

Edited by jclfc, 28 October 2007 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:15 AM

Have you tried selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode menu.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Yes, tried that but it won't work. Just like System Restore won't.

Attempted to use Recovery Console today but it appears to do nothing after I've chosen the Windows installation I wish to log onto.

So then I did a repair install but the problem continues.

I'd really not like to have to loose all my data at the moment by doing a format.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Someone on another forum has told me to try resetting the CMOS?

Edited by jclfc, 29 October 2007 - 11:46 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

You say that you did a repair install?

But you cannot get into the Recovery Console? When you enter the RC, you are supposed to type a 1 into the line where you indicate which install you want to enter, then just hit Enter when it prompts for a password.

If you can enter Windows via Safe Mode, take a look at Event Viewer (looking for errors which might give us a clue, all three tabs).

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#5 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

When I tried to use the RC it would just hang after I selected the install (EG - '1'). Nothing would happen. I even left it for 20 minutes.

Currently I can't even access safe mode now because it says 'Setup cannot complete in Safe Mode'.

I am tearing my hair out! I am worrying that I am going to end up having to replace components!

Edited by jclfc, 29 October 2007 - 12:17 PM.

#6 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

I am trying the Recovery Console again. I selected the installation I wanted to logo onto by pressing '1' just under five minutes ago and nothing has happened.

Is this normal? How long should I wait?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Not being a smartass :thumbsup:...but you did hit Enter after typing 1 for your Windows selection, right?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#8 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

I did Louis, even though it said pressing Enter would cancel.

Anyway, here is the latest installment of the saga...

After leaving it on RC for over an hour, I turned the computer on and off again and, to my surprise, the Win XP installation came up and loaded successfully. Once things were set up, I changed my resolution back to 1024 x 768, logged onto msconfig and enabled all my startup items and plugged in my USB modem.

Anyway, I tried to restart and the same problem returned. It hung on a black screen after the XP startup logo.

So, I went into Safe Mode and undid everything I had just done, changed the resolution to 800 x 600 and unplugged the modem...

Restarted into normal mode - my res is 1024 x 768 and startup progs were running. Just going to try and plug my modem in now and see what happens.

One thing I have noticed is that it takes an absolute age to load up the login screen.

If there are any further devlopments I'll report back :thumbsup:

#9 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Ok, I think I may have found the cause of the problem and, hopefully, someone out there knows how to rectify it.

Upon trying to reinstall my internet software, including USB hub, I noticed that the computer hangs after the XP logo when booting up if there is a USB device plugged into the computer. If there is no device plugged in, the computer loads normally although it is slugglish in loading the login screen.

I've just installed SP2 hoping that it may change things with no joy. Right now the computer is showing a black screen as the Hub is plugged in.

Someone must have an idea of what is going on?

#10 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

After further investigation the problems appears to lie with the modem and the modem alone.

I plugged my phone and camera into the USB ports and the computer booted up fine. The phone even began to charge during boot. However, when I plugged the modem in the same problem occured, I met the black screen and, for what it's worth, the phone didn't begin to charge.

If it's of any relevance, my modem is the BT HOME HUB and I haven't had any trouble with it until now.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

I'm almost willing to bet...that there's an entry in Event Viewer about connectivity :thumbsup:.

Well...if it's one of those USB/ethernet modems, there are several things you could try.

a. Remove the USB drivers and just connect it with Cat 5 and hope that it's just the USB drivers, not the modem, which is the problem.

b. See if there are more current drivers available for download for the modem, ISP's website.

c. Try resetting the modem from Square One, after checking Event Viewer for possible errors related.

d. If it's your modem, get another (after becoming sure that it's the problem). If it's provided by ISP, give them a call.

I have cable and I must say...every time that I have uttered bad things about my cable modem, it's been something that I've done wrong regarding setup.

Louis

#12 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hi Louis,

The thing is the modem/hub had been working perfectly for three/four months until Sunday afternoon. My computer was, for some reason, running deathly slow and wouldn't shut down so I turned it off manually. Came back to it a few hours later and the problems began.

The modem itself is working because I connect to it through WiFi on my phone and laptop and it's fine. It's just the USB connection.

I have manually uninstalled the ISP software and I am reinstalling it. I will check for new Hub drivers and then restart. If there are still problems, I will check Event Viewer and post the errors.

#13 jclfc

jclfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

Ok, so after rebooting the hub/modem and playing around with the USB wires, things seem to be working ok... for now. Booting up and shutting down working ok with modem plugged in.

I don't want to tempt fate so I'm going to give it 24 hours and I'll report back then, or before if there are more problems.

Fingers crossed.

#14 thekanclub

thekanclub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:31 AM

try this
go to bios screen and choose integrated devices from there you will see USB emulation there you need to change it to no boot. hope thiswill work
Thanks & Regards,
blissful chap

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
most of the things we desire are expensive, but the truth is :
the things that really make us happy are free:
Love
joy
laughter
and of course Linux....lol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users