Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

I have been surfing the on-line catalogs for motherboards. I just recently finished a two year degree in the computer field and I am going to try to build my own computer. The motherboard I am looking for is going to be a plain vanilla one. I don't do gaming , just average computer work like surfing the web newsgroups etc... Are there any m/b manufacturers I should stay away from, or be wary of? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

hm..generally any all-in-one board will do you well, weather it be from a good, known manufacture (IE gigabyte,asus,msi etc) or some misc. ones (IE asrock, foxconn, soltek(are soltek even still around?))

its more personal preference..i prefer gigabyte/msi, otherpeople swear by asus, in the end they all get the job done :thumbsup:

otherwise i would recomend either a msi k9n6sgm-v or a gigabyte ga-m61sme-s2 (both are all-in-one boards)

#3 tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

Can't really say which is the best.
It's as 4ward_tristan said, it's a personal choice.
I suggest you look through the ones at an online store, with a large selection, and pick a few that have the features you're interested in.
Then (here's where the fun begins :huh:), start Googling the one's you've selected, looking for problems, that people seem to have persistent troubles with, thus eliminating some of your choices.
Every manufacturer, has made "lemons". :thumbsup:
An internet search, should eliminate these.

Once you've found some with no major drawbacks, then it's just a matter of picking the one that best suits your needs.
Pay particular attention to the board's layout; are the memory sockets so close to the processor, that a large heatsink will interfere with adding RAM, to the first socket, will the chipset heatsink interfere with the video card you want to use, are there enough onboard ports to support your peripherals (IDE/SATA harddrives, IDE/SATA optical drives), etc.

I'd also advise getting a little more board, than you actually need, to help facilitate future expansion; support for a processor upgrade, more RAM, additional peripherals, etc.

Edited by tg1911, 29 October 2007 - 12:05 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:20 AM

Often times it is best to decide on the usage of the PC before deciding on the motherboard. I.e. a Gaming PC doesnt need onboard graphic as your going to use a graphics card, where as a workstation which will see Solitare as the only game ever played on it you would want onboard Graphics and sound to cut down on costs.

Another thing to look at before deciding on a motherboard is the processor family which you would like to use (Intel Pentium 4/D/CoreDuo/Centriono, or AMD Athlon64/X2/Optitron) and the style of memory you wish to use (DDR/DDR2/DDR3).

If you need any help in deciding other componants or figuring where your PC will fall in the usage category feel free to ask. I also have to echo 4ward_tristan's thoughts with only one thing added always (and I mean always) check the other users ratings on Newegg before buying anything (if it receives constantly low marks you will want to stay clear of that product)

Posted Image

#5 quentin002

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

There are many known motherboard brands, such as Foxconn, Abit, Asus, whatever. no best, just suitable for your sets.
You can try this one, just pick the one you like

#6 rigacci

• Members
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

I am a big fan of ASUS boards but I have seen them in emachines as well. Every manufacturer has their "bottom end" but their are still some that you would definitely want to stay away from.

PC Chips comes to my mind first and foremost, to stay away from. Foxconn should also be suspect although they make many items for DELL I believe, like connectors and other items. DFI I have also used and don't like the layout of the boards; their USB motherboard PIN-OUT was different than any I have ever seen. :huh:

Ones that I would use are Intel (they make the chips too!), Gigabyte and ABIT. :thumbsup:

Another great suggestion some one else mentioned was to go onto NewEgg or Tiger Direct and check the reviews. If a board doesn't have one, I would wait. :huh:

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users