Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Following Prep Guide But Getting Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 psar07

psar07

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

Hello,

I printed the Preparation Guide and I got past the Ad-Aware scan and downloaded Spybot. I ran Spybot and after it scanned, I selected all and selected delete for everything that it found. After doing that I now get a blue screen which states: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer".

I'm using my Mac to check this site and post messages.

What do I do next?

Thanks.

Paul

Mod Edit: Topic moved from HJT to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 28 October 2007 - 03:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:17 PM

There should be an error code on the blue screen that looks something like 0x00000000(0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000). Can you write that down and post it?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

If you cannot see the error because it reboots to fast you can stop that with this proceedure.

Start then Right Click on My Computer

Scroll to Properties

Select Advanced Tab

In the Startup and Recovery section select Settings

In System failure section clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart

Click OK and OK to exit

Edited by boopme, 28 October 2007 - 09:20 PM.
typo

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

Or you can just press the Pause Break key and hold it to read the message. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 psar07

psar07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:48 PM

There should be an error code on the blue screen that looks something like 0x00000000(0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000). Can you write that down and post it?

Hello,

The code that shows is:

0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x804E13D0,0xED6ACC34,0x00000000)

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Paul

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

The 0x0000008E ... message can be caused by a number of things. First, let's check whether the easiest solution is applicable in your case.

Microsoft addressed the 0x0000008E class of errors (or so they say) in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Can you confirm that your computer is running Service Pack 2?

You can learn what service pack you have by Right Clicking on My Computer, then selecting Properties from the menu. This will bring up the system properties window. Look under the General Tab for your version and service pack info (like in the picture). It should say either Service Pace 2, Service Pack 1, or nothing at all about Service Packs
Posted Image

#7 psar07

psar07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

Sorry that my replies are delayed...

I'm only at my home PC in the evenings. I checked and my PC is running Service Pack 2.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

Most times the STOP 0x8e error (shorthand for all the numbers that you wrote) relates to hardware problems or driver problems.

So, can you get into Windows (even into Safe Mode)? If so, you'll have to search your system for files ending in .dmp or .mdmp that were created around the time of the blue screen crashes. If you find them, then try this link to analyze them: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

Once you've generated the report, copy it and paste it into your next post.

If you can't get into Windows, then the easiest thing would probably be a repair install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

But this presumes that there's no hardware issues - so it may not work if there's a problem with the hardware. It'll leave your documents/files/data/programs alone, so there's not much risk in trying it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users