Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskmgr.exe Process Out Of Control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dheitt

dheitt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:18 PM

I wiped the drive and reinstalled from the Dell ReInstall disks - Twice!
First with just the OS disk ... Then with the 4-disk set of programs.
Response started out almost normal - then got slower and slower.
I have been working on this computer for over a week trying to get it to speed up to normal.
I ran CCleaner first
I have updated and run AVG antivirus ... clean
I installed and ran Spybot S&D ... was unable to update as it is too slow to work online ... times out
I ran Trojan Hunter and it reports clean
I ran The Cleaner and it was clean
I ran all the above again in Safe Mode
The only clue I have found is that on the Task manager under processes, the taskmgr.exe runs at 40 - 60 percent constantly.
I renamed taskmgr.exe and copyed a fresh taskman.exe from the install disk and then another from a different install disk I have on hand.
Same results....
Can you help? I am all out of ideas.
Thanks
Dheitt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

If it was a clean install...and I had random problems...I would first check Event Viewer for clues.

Second step would be to run chkdsk /r and do a diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

#3 dheitt

dheitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:51 AM

OK .. I ran chkdsk - no bad spots. I ran HD diagnostic - ran for 20 hrs ... disk clean.
I begin to suspect a physical problem ... CPU .. Motherboard?
Memory check turned up clean.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

Add some memory...reduce running programs...check for malware...those are the only suggestions I can think of, since you are convinced that nothing else is wrong.

My Task Manager runs at 0%.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

Some Dell's have built in diagnostics that you can run.
You can also try this free utility to spot problems: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

As I recall from my XP system - Task Manager would spike up to 14% when using it, but would quickly settle back to 0%

You might also try this free utility to see what's occupying Task Manager: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Once in the program, double click on taskmgr.exe and then on the Threads tab to see what's going on there. On my Vista system there's 3 taskmgr.exe threads, one ntdll.dll thread and 2 RPCRT4.dll threads. Only the taskmgr.exe threads show consistent activity.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users