Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Wireless Adapter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 librarylady

librarylady

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:23 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 desktop that is currently connected to Time Warner Road Runner via cable, then to the wireless router to which two other computers in the house connect (no network is set up and not really needed - we just all want to access the internet wirelessly). I want to move the desktop to another room so it needs a wireless card or adapter or something. What do I need to get? I have a Netgear router WGR614 v6. Can I just plug the internet cable directly into that router and not go through a physical computer? Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Let me see if I understand you correctly? You go from the 4600 to the Rime Warner Cable Modem, and then to
The Netgear wireless router? I'm not sure that would work unless the cable modem is actually a Cable Gateway.

Let's define some terms before continuing onward.

Cable Modem - Device that Communicates between TimeWarner and Other computers or a Router/Access Point

Router - A device that organizes information between a modem and multiple computers and Network Devices

Cable Gateway - Router and Modem all in one and usually provides wireless.

wifi - A broad term referring to 802.11 wireless protocol defined by the wifi alliance

ABGN - Which is which? These are letters to indicate speed and performance etc.

Internet Connection Sharing - Windows tool to use one computer to provide internet to mutliple computers
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whew, now that we have that out of the way.

Unless your Cable Modem is also a router I don't believe what you have described is possible.
I may have missed something too. The Idea here is that the Cable Modem should connect from
the Internet or CABLE to your wireless router, then two computers are physically connected.

Now, you want all computers to be wireless?

If that's the case, we need to know whether you're dealing with laptops and/or desktops and the model and
Operating system each is running as that will dictate to some level what options are available. The ABGN
that I refer is something most people will take into consideration heavily. Therefore, where would you
like all of the computers located and how much of a distance are we talking about? Distance from the
router that is. Answer these things and we'll go from there.

Oh and also, you'll need the documentation of the router as I'll have to describe the process of setting up the network
which you need to do in order to have multiple computers running behind the Modem. As far as Internet Connection
Sharing is concerned, forget about that because it's slow and INSECURE. The purpose of a router covers these
concerns.

We'll be waiting to hear from you.

#3 librarylady

librarylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

OK. The cable from outside of the house comes in to the cable modem which is connected to the wireless routher. The desktop computer is also connected to the router. I want to move the desktop to another room about 30 feet away. The desktop will have to have some sort of wirless card or whatever installed as it has never operated wirelessly (what should I get?). I also have an IMac in the room downstairs directly below the router which gets a great connection. I have a Dell laptop in an office about 35 feet from the router which also gets a great connection. When I move the desktop do I just remove the cable that connects the desktop CPU to the router and it will continue to work as usual for the other two computers? Then I will jsut have to have a way to connect to the internet from the dedsktop in the new room. I have all of the router documentation.
Thanks for your help!!!

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Boy Did you luck out! It just so happens I have that same router which isn't currently in use.
The Upside to this is that when we get to setting things up I can Provide you with screenshots
which should make life easier.

OK so you have part of this right, so we're off to a good start. All you need to do Physically, is remove the cable
between the router and desktop. Unless you remove the wrong cable or your router is seriously crappy, then
you shouldn't have any issues with the Imac or Dell. As far as dektop goes, well you have 3 options.

1) Buy a Wireless G Card for the desktop Wireless G 311
(this makes choosing a card easy, but a few factors will determine performance)
IE; Distance between the router and Desktop and Any other devices involved.

2) Buy a new Router and Desktop Card that Support Wireless Draft N
This is more expensive, but you get a better range and performance (not necessarily needed)

3) Use option 1 along with a Ethernet over Powerline Wireless Adapter
Netgear Powerline Wireless Access Point
( This one is totally up to you, please see the link)

I would generally recommend option 1; and option 3 if you get poor performance.
Option two is easier if the performance is poor, but more expensive.

By the way, please have a professional install the wireless adapter unless you
can't afford it or something. Wireless adapters can be picky upon install.
They may try to sell you a network setup, but this probably isn't needed.
The last one is up to you. I would only recommend the a network setup if
you need some very specific security or functionality out of your network.

So, go get the option that sounds best and have the Card installed.
I could help you with that but I take no responsibilty if something Goes wrong.

Looking forward to assisting further.

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

I have a WGR-614 router from Netgear as well.
I have two comptuers in my network- 1 Wired Desktop,1 Wireless laptop.
I have an AT&T DSL modem from Motorola, which plugs to the router.

Acutally, you DO have a network, since that is what a router does. You could unplug the modem, and your network will still work. You just wont have an "outside" connection to the internet.

So if i read correctly you have THREE computers?

Check this link out http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters.a...Home+Networking

Edited by Derek Ellis, 30 December 2009 - 11:17 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

Look for a wireless dongle like this. You just need to install the drivers for it, there will be instructions on how to install the included driver. Then just match the security on both and you're set.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users