Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

Anyone with advice on how much computer I would need for the following daily uses: digital media, burning dvd's, scanning documents, and recording tv programming - already have an lcd w/tuner, and web surfing. I am interested in an upgradeable machine perhaps custom built, maybe evn build one myself. I have heard some of the big manufacturers do not use the highest of quality components such as Dell. The 8400 they have on the shelf with the following:Pentium® 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)
320GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs w/ Native Command Queuing
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
FREE UPGRADE! New 17 in E173FP Analog Flat Panel
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE is about 1200.00 w/rebate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

My advice : Go with custom built if you know a reputable builder. Upgradability is never an issue as with name brand. Proprietary is almost always an issue with (Dell , Gateway, HP etc . ) That means the part you got from Best Buy , Circuit City is probably not going to fit in your computer. Especially power supplies , floppy drives , memory motherboards and processors. Video cards, modems , NICS , sound cards are normally not a problem regardless who makes them as far as fitting.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:59 PM

If you check out the many (not always reputable) sites that sell computer parts on-line (newegg is a good company, but you can check resellerratings.com for user comments and ratings about on-line businesses), you can probably build your own computer, using name brand parts, for less; or, as another option, find someone in your community who can build it for you for a modest fee (75-125 dollars US) if you are not the adventuresome kind of person.
You might take a look at the several recent threads about building your own PC here at BC for some insight about the topic.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

I'm a big supporter of building your own pc unless it's a laptop. I'd say that's your best bet. It looks like you want a media center pc (except for the document scanning part). There are even computer shows in certain towns that sell good stuff for cheap, though i'd go for a more reputable online source like NewEgg.com. This way you know that you're getting what you want for what you need. If you've never built one... i'd say try it out. I always give my customers the option of going through every step of the process of building their system (that plus they feed me:whistle:). And i agree with you, you're not getting the best quality stuff from the big boys (Very Very Proprietary). I know that all of my parts have a warranty plus i look into the quality of each part that i get for my customers.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:54 PM

Well I just built my first pc so if you want to build one yourself im here to help along with many other members. With all our knowledge put together we can solve any problem!

Here are 2 sites I suggest you get parts from:
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com

I also suggest you trade the intel cpu in for a AMD 64 bit cpu. Its a good investment for the future. If you do this make sure you get socket 939!
For more info on AMD 64 bit cpu's go to:
http://www.amd.com

Hope this helps some.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 17 February 2005 - 06:55 PM.

#6 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:18 PM

Thanks to all for your input. Cowsgonemadd3 I think I will take you up on your offer of helping me build a system. By the way how has your build been performing? What other hardware did you use in conjunction with the proccessor and motherboard you mentioned?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users