Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tv Tuner Cards

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hi all , dose anyone know which would be the best tv tuner card to use on my pc,, i have vista home premium & want to watch & record programs from sky tv & didgital & analog,,, all in the UK for the help of our american friends,,, sky is a satalite station through a dish to a set top box & we still have analog terestial tv through an ariel,,, here are the specs to my pc ,,,,, thanks all ,,,,,,Ian

Mainboard : Packard Bell BV Cuba MS-7301
Chipset : VIA P4M890
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1866 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hard Disk : ST3320820AS (320 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device
Monitor Type : AOC International N19W - 19 inches
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6000
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.1
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hey there mate!

I tend to stick with Hauppauge, I have found their products to be very reilable. My own preference would be to buy a PCI card type I'm not in favour of the USB tuner types. Look out for Vista Compatable logo, that way you can be sure that the card supports the operating system, or should do.

Do you have regular Sky or Sky +?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:20 PM

We get Sky TV here (TX) for soccer reports/broadcasts :huh:.

If it were me, I would get a Haupaugge card. I currently have a 7500 ATI AIW, 9600 ATI AIW, a Pinnacle analog card, and a Haupaugge 150 (I think).

The Haupaugge is a PCI card, as is the Pinnacle. Both work well, but I prefer the Haupaugge and will probably go that route in the future.

My ATI 9600 works, but I have grown tired of ATI software/drivers. The advantage of having an AIW is that I don't need a separate video card, whereas I do with both my Pinnacle and Haupaugge products.

Be sure to read whether the card is simply analog or digital input. And be sure to see if it only inputs 125 channels :thumbsup:. If you use a digibox (e.g. Scientific Atlanta) for your TV, the only way to get input from channels above 125 is to use a splitter and have the TV set to the channel you want to see on the computer. At least...that's the way it works for me (I have cable and they gave me some digital tier channels).

Louis

#4 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hi ,, thanks for the reply's,,, at the moment i have just normal sky multi room, i was looking at a Haupaugge that dose dig & analog & you can also watch sky with it i think its a WINTV HVR-3000, that looks the part,,, what do you think.
Thanks once again,,,,,Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:38 AM

I would agree that the WINTV HVR-3000 is a pretty good card, I'd peraonally go down that route. The only thing I'm unsure about is connecting the cable from you sky dish to the card, I'm unable to comment on that as I don't have this facility on my card.

Best of luck mate, update us with how you get on!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi Fire kracker,,, thanks for your reply,,, im going for the on in our posts,, im told there is a port on the back off the sky box for a leed to the tv card port,, pc world have these ,so its all systems goooo,, i hope,,,, btw i like the hidden picture you have,,,,,,,,lol
Regards,,,, Figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users