Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Connection Timing Out

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:48 AM

Hi, I've been having an internet connection problem.

First though, My Computer Specs:
-Gateway 510 Series
-WinXP SP1
-Pen 4 2.80Ghz
-512mb RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
-Adware/Spyware/Virus Protection used regularly are Ad-aware, Spyware Doctor, AVG, NOD32 and COMDO Firewall Pro
-Cable Modem: Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPC2100 Series

I am able to browse websites for the first couple of minutes I turn on my computer and the browser. Then after a x amount of time I get the "Problem loading page" error. the times varies, but usually within 10 minutes of when i turn on my computer, which is why I believe it is a DNS timing out issue.

the only way to browse the net again is to restart, but the cycle repeats and after a x amount of time it times out again. sometimes i dont have to restart my computer but close firefox and wait a coupleseconds then open it up again. but then the timing out cycle continues.

I'm sure its not Firefox as i've tried reinstalling it and this happens in IE as well.

Furthermore some programs and some games can connect to the internet like battlefield 1942, World in Conflict and instant messagers. While others can't like, Steam (Half-Life 2) and Battlefield 2. I'm guessing the programs that i cant get online with uses the DNS servers.

I've had this problem before but never fixed it and just lived with it. then my old hard drive crashed back in July and i got this new one with a clean install of windows and i didnt have this problem, til a couple weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure it aint my cable modem or net connection per se, just the DNS servers. I've disabled my firewall and it still happens. I've scanned for viruses and i dont have any. I tried my ISP tech support but they were no help. I've tried different DNS servers, using OpenDNS, but that didnt work either.

I dont know what else to do to try and fix this, any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:15 AM

ive also posted about my connection problem on a few other forums; so far the problem could be any one of these:

-AV/Security Programs running in the background cutting the connection (i doubt it cause in task manager none of them are running)

-Virus/Trojan or Spyware (doubt it because ive been running scans all week and ive had the HD for only 2 months)

-Bad Network Card

-Bad Modem (doubt it as ive just got this in July) but ill try running it on a different computer and operating system

im also gonna run traceroutes, pings and nslookup when the net is working and when its down to make sure it is in fact a DNS issue and not something else. and ill also try a system restore.

#3 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:42 AM

i ran the traceroutes and it works both when the browser connection is on and when its not on. the pinging also works when the connection is on and not on, with 0% packet loss. i also tried nslookup and it also works when the connection is on and not on.

however when i input the ip address in the browser when the connection is down it still cant connect to the webpage, so it might not be a DNS issue after all...

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi Jerry_03,

Thanx for your patience. :thumbsup:

Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections.
Click once on your active Connection.
From the menu on the left, select Repair This Connection.

Try to connect to the websites.

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Firefox,
Go Tools/ Options/ Advanced/ click on the Network Tab, then click Settings.
Select the radio button that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network
Click Okay

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings
Click Okay twice.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hi Jerry_03,

Thanx for your patience. :flowers:

Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections.
Click once on your active Connection.
From the menu on the left, select Repair This Connection.

Try to connect to the websites.

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Firefox,
Go Tools/ Options/ Advanced/ click on the Network Tab, then click Settings.
Select the radio button that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network
Click Okay

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings
Click Okay twice.

i tried the repair connection many times before and it doesnt work. im not using a proxy but i just changed the "Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network" to see if it makes any difference.

thanks for the reply anyways :thumbsup:

i just tried system restore, restoring it to a point prior to having this problem and it didnt work either.

my next option is it might be the hardware, NIC or modem.

however i forgot to mention that my modem is connected via USB, so it is in fact not connected to a NIC but to the mobo through a USB port. ive tried connecting it using Ethernet but thats a whole other problem. when i do that in my local area connection under network connections, the status of it all says <invalid> (status as in ip, subnet mask, default gateway, ect). my modem was connected via ethernet at one time a while ago (talking 2003, 2004). but i changed it to usb when my comp crashed and i started getting the <invalid> thingy.

but still ill put in my spare NIC and try connecting it that way. now assuming i still dont get the <invalid>, ill see if my browser's connection doesn't time out.

Edited by Jerry_03, 03 November 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#6 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:51 AM

im using my spare ethernet card now but im still getting the DNS error. at this point i dont know what else to do, theres a small chance it might be the cable modem so ill see about getting a new one from my ISP.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:58 AM

You could try clearing the Resolver Cache. Go Start > Run and type "cmd". When the command line screen appears type "ipconfig /flushdns".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

yes i have tried that, it doesnt work either.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:37 PM

Many ISPs, many sites, drop connection when the calling computer is idle for a bit. They keep it for a while, but eventually drop you out. Most of the time firewall settings correct it easily.
Comodo, like several other firewalls, has a concept of a trusted zone.
Loss of connection occurs when the DNSs arent included. (TCP out, UDP in and out)
Also if a local host address (127.0.0.1) isn't included (in and out) you can lose connection.
If the DHCP is not included in trusted zone, the connection gets lost.
Generic Host process aka svchost.exe normally needs to be allowed to the trusted list and also has to be allowed to listen and be a server.

I just reread this thread more carefully.
While I'd still suggest some stuff I wrote above, I now see that turning off the firewall had no effect. So it is a puzzle. It could be a hardware issue. But most likely it is a DNS issue. Who is the ISP? Is the router allowed to keep the connection (keep alive setting ON)? Is the ISP requiring 'heartbeat' response? What is the DHCP server? The router? Or the ISP?
Are the OpenDNS addresses listed both in the TCP/IP properties of the network and in the firewall? They have to keep port 53 open in Comodo. If rebooting works, then it implies DHCP failure. Can you look at your ipconfig /all in the command prompt when it works and when it doesn't. perhaps you'll see something odd there. Enough rambling. I'm just tossing out places to recheck and hope that some of it helps in some way :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 06 November 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#10 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:50 AM

My ISP is Road Runner. i wasnt behind a router until just 2 days ago, so right now my DHCP server is the router. earlier it was my ISP. either way wheter using a router or not im still getting the connection error. im not sure about the "keep alive setting" or the "ISP requiring 'heartbeat' response". im not using the OpenDNS addresses anymore but my ISP's DNS servers.

to tell u the truth ive disabled my firewall and havent turned it on since i had this problem to be sure the firewall wasnt causing it. as described in my original post, i can browse the web fine for a x amount of time before it get the connection error. restarting my computer and sometimes, restarting firefox browser does allows it to work again (so maybe it is DHCP failure). but then after a x amount of time it goes out again, in which restarting my computer/restarting firefox browser allows it to work and so the cycle contuines.

ill check the ipconfig /all command. thanks for the reply btw :thumbsup:

Edited by TMacK, 09 November 2007 - 02:29 AM.
Mod Edit:To remove unnecessary quote~ TMacK

#11 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

Well i finally "fixed" it. not exactly a fix but more of a trick. i installed Microsoft's .NET framework 1.1 which creates a login prompt at the login screen instead of automatically logging you in. here i just wait for about 10 minutes and after i log in there are no connection errors. even the programs that never used to work now can access the internet without a problem like BF2 and Steam.

so thanks to all who replied and tried to help me fix this problem. :thumbsup:

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:04 AM

Glad to hear you are up and running Jerry_03 :thumbsup:
Thanx for reporting back with the "fix".
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users