Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Move Large Avi File

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smallsull

smallsull

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:53 AM

I am having trouble moving 5+ GB avi files from my internal hard drive into an external hard drive. (XP home) Is there a trick to moving files this large? One of the files is 12 GB. Thanks for any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:03 AM

The destination drive/partition must be an NTFS one since FAT32 cannot handle files above 2Gb. So first check what file system your destination drive is using.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

The only trick I've discovered (moving a 12GB file) is to ensure that there is adequate disk space on the receiving end :thumbsup:. I was trying to move a 12GB file (recorded video file) onto a partition with 9GB of free space (not paying attention).

Louis

#4 smallsull

smallsull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the responces! I have 433 GB free on my new external hard drive, but it is a FAT32. Does that mean it can't be done?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

No, it doesn't mean that...it means that you ought to change the file system on that drive from FAT32 to NTFS, if you intend to get maximum usage/efficiency from that drive.

This can be done with no normal data loss.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

Louis

#6 smallsull

smallsull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the tip hamluis. Unfortunately it did not work and the error I got was not one listed on that page. It said h:/fs:ntfs' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I must be doing something wrong.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

When you type the command, make sure there is a space between : and /

h: /fs:ntfs
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users