Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Core Duo Uses Only One Cpu To Maximum Capacity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:00 AM

Hey,

At first, i had this problem when i cancelled a tune up by live onecare. The cpu usage went up to 100%. After tried everything logical and usual, i finally tried to reformat.

After 5-6 times reformatting, the results i get change a little bit. When i take a look at the task manager, under the performance tab, the cpu usage is at 50-70%. And as I used core duo processor, i could see both cpu usage history. Here comes the weird part, only the first processor is used to the maximum. Meaning, the 50-70% cpu usage is mainly from the first processor. The reading on the second one is nearly zero. How can is my computer becomes stupid enough to use only one cpu when there are two and i never even change any settings on the device manager?

I have to wait atleast 10 mins to open My Computer, just to have see the search torch searching for what i have in My Computer.. Whenever i click on anything about the internet connection, it`ll hang, even in the task manager. Seriously, this is a weird one. I tried to look for the problem on the net, cant find even one close one.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Try uninstalling Live One Care...and comparing.

When I tried it (in beta), I found it to be a resource hog and removed it from that system.

Louis

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Well, after reformatting, i obviously don't want to use it anymore. :flowers:

But then again, the problem persiste. I have to wait 1 hour hour to be able to use internet connectiong and to go to my computer now.

Thanks for the help but i still need more. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

When starting your computer you have to wait an hour before you can use the internet? Or it takes FOREVER for AOL to load? As for your question on CPU usage to my understanding your computer will use one core more than the other as most applications are not designed for multiple processors or cores. Your computer will use more of the second processor or core when you are using more than one application at a time. Such as encoding a dvd and browsing the web at the same time. There are programs that will use multiple cores at the same time, corel direct draw, and adobe In design CS3 and 4 are two off the top of my head.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users