Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Second Hard Drive Question...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:01 AM

I have an HP a1100y that I've been Frankenstein-ing for a while now with parts from a few other HP corpses. I put in a 230g drive, added a second DVD burner, 2gs RAM, BIOS updates, drivers and all that other stuff - it runs pretty quick now. I've been teaching myself all of this stuff over the last couple of months and am kind of a dinosaur, so please bear with me.

I want to slave another 120g drive from an HP 873n that was killed (I'm told) by a virus. I'm thinking that if I use the secondary IDE and scan it for bugs I might be safe. no?

This drive has some valuable data and I wouldn't mind the extra room (I have a ton of .AVI, MP4, etc.)

Am I making a big no-no ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup: .
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:32 AM

Actually, that is the preferred way to kill malware and viruses, just make sure that the jumpers are correctly set on both drives.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:03 AM

Here's the thing:

My primary drive is wired with red ATA straight to the mobo.

My disc-drives are on the ribbon - master & slaved so that's all of that IDE.

BUT, there IS another IDE slot (got plenty of spare ribbon) AND there's another ATA slot on the mobo (just need the cable I guess).

What do ya think?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

What you refer to as being connected by red cables and "ATA"...are SATA drives/connectors. Faster than IDE/PATA drives, but both can work in same system.

The other more familiar connectors are PATA/IDE.

Just so everyone understands what you are talking about :thumbsup:.

As for your question, there should be no problem adding drives to either set of connectors. I have both types of drives employed on my other system and use a PCI controller card so that I can use more PATA drives. It all works.

Louis

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

Your computer only has one 40 pin ide connector and one floppy connector(32 pin).

You could temporarily remove one of the optical drives and connect the IDE hdd in its place until you get all the files.

Just make sure to tap the {ESC} key when you see the HP logo when you turn on the computer, this should bring up the bios boot menu. Use the arrow keys to select correct HDD to boot from.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

Have you put a new motherboard in?

Is this the motherboard in your system? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=1118244

Louis

#7 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Yes Louis, that's my MB - and thanks for setting me straight re; SATA.

It's been brought to my attention that I should upgrade my PSU, is this absolutely necessary - or just a good idea? 'Cause I'm poor, see?

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

Normally a higher rated power supply is needed when you add a video card to a PCIe or AGP slot on the mainboard. yours does not appear to have either of those slots, so I would say as long as the one you have works, Don't mess with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users