Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Computer Icon With Key In Internet Options Under Security Tab

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Americangirl2007

Americangirl2007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

I just recently saw this under Tool - Internet Options - Security Tab:

Posted Image

I noticed that there is an extra icon with the others (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Sites). The extra icon is Your Computer - an Internet Explorer icon with a key over it. I don't know how this got there. Is this supposed to be there??? I am able to click on the other icons and the settings appear under them except for this one. Why is that? Please, someone help! I hope I'm not infected with anything since I don't know how it got there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

My guess is it is one of your security programs. It could be a parental control.
Is this showing while on the Admin account?

Do you have "Content Advisor" enabled? I see it uses a key image.
http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/BC/bcs4p19.html

Edited by buddy215, 28 October 2007 - 11:19 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Americangirl2007

Americangirl2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

I never set any parental controls. I don't have Content Advisor enabled. Yes, this shows while on the Admin account. If it is from one of my security programs, I don't know how it got there. I have Kasperky Anti-virus (a trial version) but that icon was there before I even installed Kaspersky. I have Spyware Doctor but I had that there at least a year before I saw that icon. I am using Windows' firewall. I also have Ad-Aware 2007, Spyhunter, Spyware Blaster, and CCleaner. Thanks!

Edited by Americangirl2007, 29 October 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

Could be from an update for Spyware Doctor. Do you have all of its functions enabled? Is it the commercial or free version?
Is AdAware the free version?

Regarding Spy Hunter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpyHunter
The program has been reviewed several times, with a generally negative reception,[1][2][3] with the most common complaints being the speed of a scan, a lack of a quarantine function, and its price relative to performance. However, the program has had positive comments about simplicity, albeit this being due partially to limited features.[1] An online review by Adware Report stated "We recommend that you avoid this product at all costs. It failed to remove any spyware in our tests and the scan results were filled with false positives, a probable marketing ploy designed to separate fools and their money."

Edited by buddy215, 29 October 2007 - 06:39 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Americangirl2007

Americangirl2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

It couldn't be an update for Spyware Doctor because I didn't renew my subscription. That's been quite awhile ago. It's not the free version.

The Ad-Aware 2007 I have is the free version. I don't have the Realtime Protection, the Ad-Watch function, the Process Watch function, and the Hosts File Editor function enabled because they only come with The Plus or Pro version. I am able to download the updates though.

I've had SpyHunter for awhile now, but that icon under the Settings tab in Internet Option has never been there before. It's only been there for about a week. So, I still don't know how that icon got there. I have no idea. I did recently download and install the latest updates for Windows Update. I don't know if that icon was there before then though. I chatted with someone from Microsoft and the person didn't know anything. The person gave me a number to call to talk with an Internet Explorer Professional about this. I haven't done that yet though. I want to know if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks!

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

I am surprised others who viewed this haven't come up with an answer. It must be a real poser.
I even spent some time looking at a ton of images in Google and I do mean a ton---nothing.
Are you the only user?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users