Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping An External Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

I replaced my computer's hard drive with a new one and now i am using the old one as backup device.

I bought an external case S-ATA to USB for my old HD.

So now i want to wipe the external HD for a fresh start.Is it possible to wipe it while using it as external or i should reconnect it to the PC and use it as primary so i would be able to wipe??

And would you plz recommend me some wiping softwares.

Thanks.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

You can boot the external USB drive if your BIOS is able to support this, but it would be much easier to simply wipe the drive connected directly. Without knowing what make and model of computer you have it is very difficult to help you out here.

As for an application to wipe the drive, you can download KillDisk and boot from it to wipe the drive, it is free.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wassim

Wassim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:34 AM

Ok, i got Killdisk the windows version and tried it on a USB stick, i had some data on it and i tried to wipe it.
after it was done i couldnt open the USB stick by double clicking on it from my computer i had to go to right click than open + all the icons of the data that i had where still on it but empty.
is this normal??

Edited by Wassim, 28 October 2007 - 07:38 AM.

"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users