Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proccess & Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ill_Nino

ill_Nino

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

Basically, I have been researching the programs & processes that my computer is currently running. I have come across a few that I am now sure about what they are, or even, how they got on my computer. The only problem is that, my computer is extremely slow, running on 192MB of SDRAM. Which, I have heard is considerably slow, let alone with all the junk that has been "installed" makes this a painful process.

I am curious as to what are the first few steps that I should do to clean my computer of all Spyware & Malware? I do not have any virus scans, the only one I have is a free trial version from Google, but as I also have Dial Up connection, it is also a slow process.

Any tips would be helpful thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

The first link that I will recommend is our Bleeping Computer Freeware.

The second step would be to uninstall any Norton, Symantec or McAfee programs, as these are normally resource hogs. Then install one of the anti virus programs from the freeware list.

Step three would be to follow the directions in the preparation guide for use before posting a hijack this log. If your scans come up clean, you should not need to use step 9 and after in the guide.

Of course, :thumbsup: to bleeping computer, and always ask questions when anything is unclear.

Edited by oldf@rt, 27 October 2007 - 08:55 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:55 AM

If you don't know what a process is, search the name using Google, BC's File Database, File Research Center or the Process ID Database. Also see How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

You can download and use Process Explorer or Glarysoft Process Manager to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

The Process Explorer window shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file which you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Post back with the results of the file analysis.

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users