Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sardie

sardie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

Back in 04 I bought a HP Pavilian a1013w for around a thousand bucks.Not too bad. Lots of movie , pic editing and burning software. Problem is the computer came with no backup disks. Only a recovery partition. Most of the software is introductory level with minimal capabilities or use time limits and require purchased upgrades.
Enough whining. My question is. Instead of building my own computer(cause I donít know enough stuff) I was toying with the idea of trashing the hard drive , installing a new hard drive and install software ,I want,from purchased CDís Or , is it possible to get an auxiliary hard drive,attach it to the computer,install the software and will it run independent of the OEM hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Sardie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

It's perfectly possible to install a second hdd and use that for your programs, pictures, movies, music, etc. You can easily run more than 1 hdd's in most computers as long as there's room for 2 in the computer and the IDE cable (thick gray cable inside the computer, assuming you don't have SATA since it's an older machine).

I, personally, have 2 hard drives installed. One for all my programs, and the other for all my music/videos. When you have it in a configuration like that, it's called "slaving" a hdd. The main (master) hdd is the one with the operating system on it, so that's the one that has priority over the slave (anything else). It's entirely possible to ONLY have the operating system on the master, while you install everything else to the second, slave drive. If that's your choice, just make sure to keep your programs consistant. If you start installing some programs to the master and others to the slave, the location of program files could get a little sketchy.

If you only want one installed, and you're going to replace the one you have now, there are multiple ways to transfer all the information from the old one to the new one, if you need to.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 27 October 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:17 PM

I'm assuming you have XP. You computer's 3 years old so VISTA is out of the question. Why not get rid of the programs that are outdated and browse thru the suggestions here for substitute applications
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html If you want to get your own XP disk and start out fresh, you'll need the drivers for your specific model which you can get at HP's site
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:59 PM

You may still have the possibility of making the recovery discs, check this link in section # 1 http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07143.

Another issue, some HP computers do not have the necessary brackets to install a second hard drive.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users