Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Won't Stay Open, No Desktop Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robjam

robjam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hi, I'm running windows xp home edition and cannont get the process explorer.exe to stay open.
What happens is that it starts on startup and I can see my desktop icons and everything, then give it five seconds or so, and it closes.

I have stopped system restore, restarted in safe mode and ran norton av 2005 full system check, and adaware. Norton AV 2005 found nothing whilst adaware found some stuff
From what i understand, explorer.exe runs the desktop and manages files. I now manage the computer from task manager and through workarounds.
Lately I must have had a either a virus, malware or something installed, as Norton does pop up saying it has found a trojan/virus called downloader and says it has deleted them.
Any help? Ideally I'd like to keep explorer open.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:44 PM

Norton does pop up saying it has found a trojan/virus called downloader and says it has deleted them.

What was the name of this Trojan? Did Norton provide a specific file name associated with it and a location?

Try running the the System File Checker (SFC) to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

Use Task Manager > New Task... and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users