Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Support For Intel 4965n

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

So, I'm taking a poll for implentation of Intel's 4965N on linux, and specifically Ubuntu Gutsy.

I've read many of the posts on Ubuntu and none of the fixes seem to work. I have a Dell Inspiron 1520.
the Driver Loads properly, but the card drops the Router almost immediately. I think this may have something
to do with the fact that tool for setting G or B is unrecognized by the module which makes me wonder if it's not
the iwl3945 driver which would completely suck. I'm nearing the point of removing the current driver, disabling the
assistant and loading the DEV Driver from intellinuxwireless.org

Wondering what methods anyone has used to get this working. Will post on Ubuntu as well.

I'm hoping this post won't be Modded/moved to networking b/c I want it to get the attention of
those using linux. When I post in networking on sites not dedicated to Linux, I typically
recieve responses from someone guessing blindly at the issue.

Thanks in advance for you participation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

Well This is awesome. I know that I was ranting and raving a bit in the first post due to my frustrations.

After posting this message it occured to me that the currrent configuration Ubuntu like Feisty seems
to look/search for the most popular technology in use at the time, not the most cutting edge.
This being said

'lspci' Returns the the 4965 card.

modprobe says that both the 3945 and 4965 .ko are installed. I figured if Ubuntu was staying true to itself then,
that the 3945 must be loaded, and that the 4965 is probably only for the 4965n card which is misleading
on the intellinuxwireless.org website.

that being said, I ran

sudo modprobe -r iwl3945

to remove that driver package

and

modprobe iwl4965

to believe it or not, load the driver for my card.
No Fuss, No Muss
And thank The guy upstairs that I didn't have to recompile the Kernel.

Plus, WPA2 was supported out of the box. Performance is a bit slower than in Windows
but this is only marginal and I believe it can be overcome by installing the intel
Linux optimization package which I'm told improves performance.
There's also and IRQ Balancing program but I'm a bit wary on that.

The only issue I have with GUSTY is that the filesystem driver is a bit harsh on the hard drive.
I believe this may have something to do with the fact the HDD is using perpendicular
recording technology, but don't quote me on that.

Linux is AWESOME as ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users