Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleanup Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sipapu

sipapu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:38 PM

I see a considerable amount of files on my XP installation that I would like to clean up. For one there are seven users listed; see attachment "users." I can understand the "administrator" and perhaps one more but I am the sole user of the computer (Guess I consider myself the Administrator) and would dearly love to scratch all but one, the Administrator. It isn't just the room they take up but more the files that are repeated in each one. Is this possible?

Then there are many program folders that I will never use, for example: MSsoap, Word frontpage, MSN Gaming zone, Net meeting, OnLine service, Outlook express, Windows NT, and Xerox. Every time I try deleting them they come up with "cannot be deleted." Is this a fact or can I safely bypass this notice somehow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sipapu

sipapu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

:thumbsup: OOPS! I forgot the attachment - here it is.

Attached Files

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:10 AM

Each user profile will have the same directory tree. "Application data," for example, will appear in all user profiles under Documents and Settings. all of them are necessary, and none should be deleted.

In the 'screen shot' you provided, I see only 2 accounts other than ADMINISTRATOR. "Users' is not the same as user accounts. Windows calls itself a 'user' under some circumstances. 'Default user' and 'All users' are folders that Windows keep information about itself as it pertains to various configurations relative to which account is active. Those are Windows' folders, not yours. If you change and/or delete them you run the risk of seriously compromising your installation.

If you open User Accounts from the Control Panel, you will find all the accounts on your computer except, in XP Home, for the overall ADMINISTRATOR account which is only available from Safe Mode. The ADMINISTRATOR account should really be used only in the case of diffuiculties. It is the "fall back" account when things get goofy. User accounts can become corrupt, and having a clean, good ADMINISTRATOR account gives you somewhere from which to work should that happen. You really dont want to delete the account named Administrator.

I keep another unused Admin level account on my computer as well just in case. If what you want is to boot through to your desktop without loggin in at the Welcome screen, Tweak UI offers that function.

The other folders about which you express concern are just default Windows folders. I have no idea why Xerox has a folder, but I do know that if you do manage to delete it, XP will re-create it at next boot anyway. All the folders you mentioned are necessary parts of the XP system and should really just be left alone.

It may be instructive to go to the View tab of Folder Options and select "Do not show hidden files and folders," and "Hide protected operating system files." This will allow you to see what Windows considers its own stuff. Yes, I can see them. Yes, seeing them is often useful. But I mess with them at my own peril.

If you really want to 'clean up,' get ATF Cleaner: http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

"Keeping Windows XP Systems Clean"
(Stay away from the part about using registry cleaners)

Edited by quietman7, 29 October 2007 - 02:37 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users