Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Мєηιcє

Мєηιcє

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:59 PM

I don't know if this should be posted here, but I couldn't see anywhere else to post it. If there is another section then could a mod please move it, thanks.

Anyway, just over the last couple of days my internet has been really slow. I contacted my ISP and they said that there was nothing wrong with their networks and to check my computer, which I've done.

Usually, I'm getting 5-5.5kb/s while downloading (Yes....the dreads of dialup :thumbsup: ), but lately it's been going down to 2.5 or so. So everything I want to download is going at half the speed and taking twice the time, which is just inconvenient to me.

I had this kind of thing happen once before, but to a higher extent...and what was happening was that I had something on my computer that was opening a IE page (I use FF) and using G-mail it would spam the same person over and over, and I couldn't open the page up (Except one time which I don't know how I did it, and all I did was log out of G-Mail and it stopped until I rebooted). I don't know how I got rid of it, but I did...

Now I haven't noticed anything like this this time, but does anyone know if there is anything I can do to check if this is happening? There is nothing running in the background that shouldn't be...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

Hello, I suspect the malware is still on the PC.
Please have a read here Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist
Try running Superantispyware in Safe mode then run Housecall
Both the links and instructions for safe mode are in the Reference section at the above link

Let us know..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Мєηιcє

Мєηιcє
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:13 AM

Ok, thanks for that. I'll give it a check out tomorrow when I have time. Then I'll post my results

#4 Мєηιcє

Мєηιcє
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

Not much use doing that, nothing major.

Also note that only a month or so ago I went through the big process of going through with someone from BC here and cleaning out my computer of all malware fully, so I don't think it would be malware...but it's still frustrating.

Also, I don't know if this had anything to do with it...and I didnt check to see if it is, but I noticed that when I first logged onto the internet all of the pages were slow, and while a page was loading MSN wouldn't log in, but as soon as I stopped loading the page MSN connected and from then on it hasn't been as slow (Although downloads are still going at 3kb/s or so instead of the 5kb/s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users