Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Constant Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Мєηιcє

Мєηιcє

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

Hi, I've been using Zone Alarm for most of this year, but I only started to notice this a month or so ago. What it is, is that every single hour...on the hour, Zone Alarm updates. This takes anywhere from a couple of minutes to 20 or so minutes like it did last hour. Now most people would think this would be fine, but my problem is that it eats up almost all of my CPU, I cannot do anything else on my computer when this is going on, so I have to walk away and come back later, and it's really frustrating when I'm in the middle of something. I've gone through all the settings and I can't find anything that allows me to change when it updates like that (Apart from update manually which i don't want to do). What I'd like is for it to do it's updates once a day, at the maximum. Does anyone know if I can do this? Otherwise I think I'm going to have to swap to something else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Version 7 updates every hour and people complained so much that the newest build of ZA version 7 does automatic updates every 3 hours, or it is completely user configurable, as I feel it should be.

So, download yourself the new build, and you might prefer it.

The idea behind the hourly updates was good, in my opinion, as the viruses, trojans, rootkits are released constantly. The implementation apparently left a lot to be desired, as you've seen, and so have others with issues such as stealing focus out of games.

#3 Мєηιcє

Мєηιcє
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, thanks for that.

But it's not just games, just before I came here it ticked over to 11:00, and it's now 11:12...I've done basically nothing in that time :thumbsup:
Ahh well, off to download the new version :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users