Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Processor/ Old Bios?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spank6467

spank6467

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

I wanted more speed and multi-tasking ability so I replaced my P4 3Ghz chip with a Pent D 925. My board is an Intel 945GPM, with a gig of memory, running XP Media Center Edition. My computer seems to encoded video a little faster and my CPU usage is down 10%. For some reason I can't install the Desktop Utilities(to check temps) or the ViiV software that came with the board, although the Utilities portion of the program was installed earlier when I had the P4 chip installed. Since the install it takes longer for my computer to boot(no programs selected on start-up) and my fans run at full speed all the time. Is there something else I need to do like a BIOS update or maybe change the settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

Well...if you had read up on processors before buying...I think you would have found that Pentium Ds run hot.

In any case, looking at these threads may be beneficial: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Pentium+Ds+run+hot

And...if you had doubled your RAM, you probably would have had "more speed."

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance - http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#3 spank6467

spank6467
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for your advice, however I did do a little research before I bought this chip. Most of the "hot" complaints were coming from those who purchased Pent D 8xx not the 9xx that I purchased. From what I've read my idle temp is still about 20 degrees too high. I'm gonna pull the chip, clean it and apply a fresh coat of grease. My computer is still running too slow, the speed at which programs open is slower than my P4, that can't be right.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

If you look at the Google list I provided, I think you will find other owners/users of Pentium D making similar comments as yours.

I myself don't have a D, so I can't share personal experiences.

If the programs currently installed are the same ones installed previously...I don't know what to tell you.

Louis

#5 spank6467

spank6467
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

Well I solved that problem, I crashed the system fooling around in the bios. I think the memory setting change is what did it. I tried pulling out the battery to reset but no CMOS, just three long beeps on boot(black screen). I bought another board to get up and running. Now Express Install won't install my drivers and I can't get a task bar, no IE, no windows media player, is it because WINDOWS needs activating?

On the other hand i was right about the temps being too high. I'm using the same 925 D chip heat sink and fan, my fans have slowed down to around 2300rpm from 3900rpm and my idle temp is down to 38C from 55C.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

Do you actually get into Windows? You get a successful boot and desktop?

My experience is that...activation problems crop up before I ever get there, not afterwards.

As for the heat...that seems to have a self-inflicted wound you've corrected.

I'm not familiar with Express Install. Seems to be related to Flash Player from where I sit.

Louis

#7 spank6467

spank6467
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

I have no problem getting into Windows. I have all my desktop icons. I just can't get my task bar/start button to appear. It was there when I first booted then it disappeared after a restart. I can download files but I can't install any of them. I even went to the Intel site and downloaded the drivers for my board and they still won't install. I click the activate now button but nothing happens, I guess because it tries to access IE and its not working.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

Easy answers:

Run chkdsk /r and then run sfc /scannow...or do a repair install. Alternatives will ensure initial integrity of system files.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Perform a Repair Installation - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

Hard answers:

Look for errors about your system in Event Viewer. Double-click on any error for details. Post details here for last 4/5 errors noted.

Check Device Manager to see if all drivers are installed.

Run chkdsk /r on the hard drive.

I guess I don't see where a BIOS update would help, since there is no indication of hardware incompatibility or added functionality that a BIOS update would settle.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users