Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues With My Processor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cewong2

cewong2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hi All,

I bought a new HP system about a year ago (still on my one year warranty). Now I've reinstalled my system twice. With the factory discs provided (I didn't feel like hunting down all the components that needed to be installed for my computer). My initial Issue was that it took about 15 minutes to start up, and then would kind of crash and stall. I went through Hijack this and couldn't find anything wrong, especially since when I go to view my CPU usage, and it was nearly at 0%. After much trying things around, I found that it was Norton Internet Security which was causing the system to be so slow, so I promptly uninstalled that. and installed McAfee, not great but at least it doesn't take 15 minutes to start up anymore.

Now as for my second issue, my CPU usage likes to go at full 50% on whatever the program that is accessing it starts first. Since I have a dual core, Core2 in the system, I'm able to use the other core to do what I need to do. But I would like to be able to use both cores like it is suppose to be used. I can't seem to figure out why it keeps taxing the first core. It's not one specific program either, it is whichever one starts first on using it for something. i.e. Firefox could be the one stalled out, and then I'd force close that, and then it could be Explorer, my Logitech desktop manager, AIM, etc...

Does anyone have any Ideas? My System config is as follows:

Intel Core2 Duo 2.13GHZ
3.5GB RAM
2 HDD both SATA2

Eventually I might upgrade to a Core2 Quad but right now I don't have that kind of money.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:10 PM

Have you gotten all of Norton un-installed? Check out this Tutorial

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 cewong2

cewong2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Have you gotten all of Norton un-installed? Check out this Tutorial

I have all of Internet Security uninstalled but I installed SystemWorks because I still can't find anything that is comprable to that. I uninstalled IS using the removal tool, but systemworks doesn't seem to bog down my computer like IS did.

#4 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

hm..pretty much anything nortons will bog your computer down

is your HDD light on? if so run taskmgr (start>run>taskmgr)...left click on view>select columns

tick I/O reads and I/O read bytes - this will show u what processes are accessing your hdd..

apart from that - have you run a memtest?(www.memtest.org) - and a stress test..i find that VCOMS fix-it has a alright "system" test in it so to say..

goodluck
=)

#5 cewong2

cewong2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

hm..pretty much anything nortons will bog your computer down

is your HDD light on? if so run taskmgr (start>run>taskmgr)...left click on view>select columns

tick I/O reads and I/O read bytes - this will show u what processes are accessing your hdd..

apart from that - have you run a memtest?(www.memtest.org) - and a stress test..i find that VCOMS fix-it has a alright "system" test in it so to say..

goodluck

1 of the 2 cores is being fully used, and it's any program that starts first in that. So sometimes it's Firefox, sometimes it's explorer, sometimes it AIM, it's whicever is first. It's shows that the core is being taxed, but the hard drive is not being taxed, I'm still able to use the second core, and still do what I need to do, while one program is taxing the first core, but I'd like to be able to use the computer and the processor like it was suppose to be used. Too bad there is no way to test the Processor itself.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:02 PM

I agree with 4ward. Try Memtest. and test your memory to make sure there isn't a problem. If the memory is damaged then the computer will have to access the HDD more, causing the processor load to increase and response times to lengthen.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users