Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install Winxp On P25g Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 savagerose

savagerose

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

I cannot install a genuine windows xp on the PcChips P25G motherboard. It tells me there is a problem with the hard drive. I have tried 3 different new hard drives and it does the same to each. I have changed the ide cables, tried different ram. I tried disabling the sata in the bios incase it thought i was doing an sata hard drive. I tried installing the raid drivers by pressing f6 during winxp install even though pcchips said i didn't have to with an ide drive. I am just at a loss as to why this motherboard will not let me install winxp. It will let me install win98, but when i tried to use my winxp upgrade cd it had the same problem of saying there was a problem with the hard drive. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

Well...I tend to believe XP when it tells me there is a problem with the hard drive.

Not to doubt you...but I find it hard to believe that you tried 3 brand-new properly-formatted hard drives...and XP would not install and the same error message appeared each time.

Step-by-step...describe your install attempt, from the point you turn on the system, please. Thanks.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

Is this a new build with a new motherboard? PC Chips is at the LOW end of desired motherboards
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 savagerose

savagerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

okay, first, i am clearing the bios....then i return bios to normal...i attach a cdrom as secondary master, anew maxtor 40gb hdd fresh out of the package, no formatting or partitioning on it...i install 512mb ddr266 ram....attach monitor, mouse, keyboard....install northwood 2.4ghz cpu socket 478 and heatsink with fan.....then attach a 550w power supply to the mainboard and cdrom and hdd. I hook up the face of the pc case to the power supply switch. I then turn on pc and open bios to make cdrom the first boot up option. press f10 to save changes. I then insert winxp cd rom into cdrom drive and hit ctrl alt del to restart pc. .... win xp runs setup then i choose f8 to accept their conditions. I then choose to install winxp in the upartitioned disk space. It begins to format the partition at 20% then jumps to 100% and comes up with.....setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI drive make sure your devices are properly terminated. You must select a different partition for winxp.

I have gotten this with 3 different new hard drives.

I install new motherboards for customers all the time and have yet to have a problem with any except this one. I was hoping someone who had experience with this board could perhaps tell me why this one is not allowing the winxp cd to see the hard drive on the ide 1 channel. I have the cd hooked onto the ide2 channel. I will as I await your answer, be sure I try hooking the cdrom as a slave to harddrive on the ide 1 channel to be sure it is not the ide itself. I'm thinking I have tried that but I will again just to make sure. Should I also, perhaps try formatting and partitioning the drive first before I hook it into this motherboard? I do know that I used maxblast to check the hookup of the drive and it passed all the test through that, so I do know that maxblast could read and see the drive the way it is currently hooked up.

#5 savagerose

savagerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

I choose this particular motherboard to be compatible with what the customer had in chipset on her hard drive to avoid having to reformat her drive, but when it wouldn't work with her drive, and said there was a problem in her drive, I decided to try the new drive on it and now have tried 3 new drives with the same results on each.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

Is this their CD or yours? Possibly scratched or damaged? Maybe slave it to another computer and format it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 savagerose

savagerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

an update to what i have tried. I tried to format and partition the drive with a copy of maxblast that i had before seagate aquired maxtor. I setup the drive for winxp use. I tried again to install winxp and came up with the same patitioning error.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

Sorry for the DP
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 October 2007 - 05:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#9 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

you said that you disbled sata - have you tried installing xp onto a sata drive for that pc?

can you boot into a livecd(www.ubcd4win.com , http://www.knoppix.org/) and broswe around there?
=)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

I think that the Maxblast software may be the problem (WAG). Windows has a history of possibly having problems with drive overlay software.

I guess I don't see where that comes into play at all, so I'm curious what you used it for...and why.

If I had a new disk and wanted to install XP, I'd just insert the XP CD (after changing boot options) and let XP find the drive, format it, create the boot/system partition...and install XP.

FWIW: I tend to use PC Chips/ECS boards and I've not have a problem with a single one over a 10-year span.

Louis

#11 savagerose

savagerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

wow thanks for all the responses although none are really solving my dilema.

I only tried to format and partition the new drive with maxtor maxblast after having tried it out of the package with winxp finding and installing and then having the partitioning error

Just so all will know, I took the maxtor hard drive and hooked to another new motherboard bistar p4m80-m4 and used the same windows cd and it found the drive and installed winxp, then once winxp finished i attached it back to the pcchips p25g and it would never complete the windows boot up. It just hung at the spash screen. I am led to believe that whatever this problem is with windows and this particular board is in this board itself. Think perhaps I need to just chunk it and count my loss. When 3 new hard drives all have the same error with a cd that formatted and installed fine with another board then I can only see the board as the problem.

I did try a SATA drive with the same partitioning error results.
Must be the board.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well...if another board works with what you have and the P25 doesn't, that's all you need to know.

My question now is...what was the original reason for changing motherboards, assuming that there was one which worked on that particular computer system?

Louis

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

Check this download from PC Chips There is a small problem with the IDE Detect function in the bios, as usual, ensure that you are downloading for the correct version of the mainboard.

http://www.pcchipsusa.com/PCCWebSite/Downl...=39&LanID=2
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

Nice find, sir!

Louis

#15 savagerose

savagerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

oldfart that was the perfect answer. I downloaded the bios update under newest updates and now it worked perfect. I guess I went brain dead as I should have thought of that one. In answer to Hamluis the reason for wanting to use that board was the chipset match to the installed winxp on the customers pc to make the transition to a new board smooth. I have found that in replacing motherboards, that if you can replace with the same chipset that winxp accepts the changes more smoothly. Thankyou everyone for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users