Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Query On Operating System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keltyoz

keltyoz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

Just a question. I have the disc for Windows XP, is it true if I buy a new computer even if its one built rather then factory installed, I will not be able to get these installed that they are tied to the computer you buy at the time? I notice the OEM stricker is stuck to my computer case and have read that's the case but may have misunderstood, I really don't want to get Vista for quite some time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

If you have an OEM version of XP then that copy of windows lives and die with that computer. If you have a Full retail version you can move it from one computer to another. You will end up on the telephone with Microsoft, but they will allow you to move it from one computer to another.
Branded XP CDs are also tied to their respective computers. If it is a Dell branded XP CD it has to be used on that computer.
I agree with you about not moving to Vista quite yet. The first service pack is not due out till the second quarter of '08. You can still pickup a copy of XP Home OEM on Ebay for around $80.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 keltyoz

keltyoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:32 PM

Thanks buts its not a Dell I always get my computer built to spec by a small shop as I don't like buying factory preloaded computers. guess I will check with my guy when he gets back. Its does say ts OEM but I wasn't aware of that
I always assumed it was the full copy diudnhlt realise there were different versions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users