Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Windows Recognising Usb Device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keltyoz

keltyoz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:14 AM

Any ideas anyone, have XP SP2, all of a sudden I am getting an error message saying its not recognising my Seagate external storage drive or my camera card reader., says devices have malfunctioned I have looked in devise manager and says not reognised. I have tried plugging them into other USB ports but no luck other devices are working fine in same ports
The devices check out okay on my neighbours computer. There is no software with either of these things drivers are included in Windows SP2

The guy who built my computer is away overseas his standin says he deosn't know why tried two other shop and they were the same. Someone has suggeeted getting a powered USB hub and trying that, but one of the guys at the shop doubted that would help so don't want to buy one and find it doesn't work, but may have to get one and try just thought see if anyonew here has had same problem. It happened a few weeks ago but within a couple of days it was okay again but it been 4 days now, also earlier my guy put extra internal power in that seemed to fix it too, within 6 weeks it had stopped wrong and he replaced the extra power thing as that was at fault, I guess that could have gone again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

<<Someone has suggeeted getting a powered USB hub and trying that...>>

Well, I would suggest not getting a hub, but rather a PCI USB 2.0 card.

My experience is that onboard USB and onboard NICs can flake out at any time.

Since PCI cards for those two things don't cost an arm or eye, I think it's wise to have at least one spare of each.

<<...also earlier my guy put extra internal power in that seemed to fix it too, within 6 weeks it had stopped wrong and he replaced the extra power thing>>

You need to be more specific. There's only one power supply unit per system, so I have no clue as to what you are trying to refer to.

Louis

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

Try working with the devices via the Device Manager. Plug in your external USB devices, expect errors. Allow Windows to attempt to recognize the devices, you should see the USB cable icon pop in at the lower right hand corner of your Taskbar. Write down the specific text of any errors that you might receive.

Open up the Device Manager:

| Start >> right-click My Computer >> click Manage |

-OR-

| Start >> Run >> type devmgmt.msc >> press [Enter] |

Any problematic devices should appear with a yellow circle containing a white question mark. If not, run a scan for hardware changes:

| Actions >> Scan for hardware changes |

For devices which appear with the yellow circle/question mark indicator, right-click that device and choose Update driver. Follow the prompts in the Found New Hardware wizard. If it is a Plug and Play (PnP) device, Windows should automatically install the appropriate driver.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users