Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Tests Results Worrying

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 phiz

phiz

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:15 AM

Hi

I hope you can help me, I thought my computer was ok, just a bit slow so I ran some tests and now I am really worried, this is what they revealed

450 unnecessary (junk) files that take up 11700 KB of space

not optimised for high speed connection

1 unnecessary programme that runs in the background and slows down my computer

69 registry errors

5 registry keys that can be adjusted to give system a performance boost

I can't afford the money to pay for the programme to fix them, and am also a bit concerned it may not be true and they just want my money.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

PS I have a windows XP packard bell laptop, I run clean up and disk clean up after every internet use, I also run adaware and AVG free and spybot and AVG anti spy on a regular basis, I have zone alarm and AVG free running at all times

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

What tests did you run?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

Yes, telling us what tests you ran would be helpful with addressing some of your issues.

However, if your system is slow, you may have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Some of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available elsewhere - Start > Programs or an icon on the desktop.

Use a startup manager like Startup Control Panel, Autoruns or Starter by CodeStuff.
If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled.
Note: some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

If you are unsure what any of the program entries are or if they are safe to disable, then do a search on Google or at one of the following databases:
BC's Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Anytime you come across a suspicious file which you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be or you want a second opinion, then submit it to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

Sorry thought I covered it all, I ran PC pitstop optimize

and thank you for your help I will go and do all the things you suggested

back later

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

I wouldn't give any money to these PC Pitstop people. As quietman7 recommended, go through your startups and see if there is anything running that doesn't need to be.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

Also see Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

#7 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Hi thanks for your suggestions I have cleaned up and cleared out and ran all the checks that I have, thought all was running ok.

But ......

for the last three days I have been using the internet for a couple of hours in the afternoon and all is ok then after stopping to eat I have been trying to continue what I have been doing (mainly ebay and email) and I am lucky if a page actually loads it is super slow so I run all checks and find nothing, give up and shut down.

Any ideas please ?

Thank you Phiz

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Have you updated your XP Packard Bell with all service packs including SP2?

#9 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

Yes as far as I know my computer regularly updates automatically from microsoft (a yellow sheild appears and I install). hope thats what you mean.

Just installed a-squared and ran that, picked up four minor items so I have quarantined them.

Thanks for your help quietman7, much appreciated

Phiz

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Try using an alternate browser like Firefox.

Also, you can overkill your system with resource heavy security programs that will drain your resources and slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone.

#11 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hi Quietman

Not sure I understand as the first time each day I use the internet all loads ok and fast, I can stay on for hours, e-bay, hotmail and maybe google the odd thing or two and search various pages. Then if I disconnect from the internet while I cook tea etc and try to come back on it either says page cannot be displayed or runs super slow (like bad dial up), the icon says; local area connection speed: 100 .0 Mbps, status: connected, yet most days I can get nothing.

Sorry if I am being thick the only security I have running is zone alarm (stealth mode) and AVG free resident sheild. I run clean up etc after I finish.

Thanks for being patient with me

Phiz

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

Have you checked with your ISP provider so they could do some testing? The problem may be at their end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users