Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Could Of Had A V8

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:04 AM

I just F disked the computer and got every thing back on line when my wife comes along and wants to use the computer, so I let her even tho I don't have all my updates yet. Sure enough she gets a virus called trojon exploit 131. Norton says it failed to clean the file. Then i notice that the auto detect is turned off on norton as well as the email part. I try to turn them on but it won't do it. So I deleated the norton off the computer and tried to put a freash copy on but am unable to because the door to my drive E won't open to put in the disk. I've never seen that before! Is there any one out there with the answer or some advice?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 27 October 2007 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

Welcome to BC
First, make sure to remove all traces of the old installation with the Norton removal tool
If you look real close at thr left side of the tray (usually) you will see a small pinhole. Take a paper clip and straighten it out and poke it through the hole and push. You should then be able to pull it out the rest of the way
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 October 2007 - 08:27 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

And you might check if your drive (CD/DVD) is properly detected in the BIOS...and check the connections for the drive.

Louis

#4 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

Welcome to BC
First, make sure to remove all traces of the old installation with the Norton removal tool
If you look real close at thr left side of the tray (usually) you will see a small pinhole. Take a paper clip and straighten it out and poke it through the hole and push. You should then be able to pull it out the rest of the way
Mark

Garmanma you are a genius! Thank you very much! You know, your ok! I'm gonna quit spreading rumors about you!

(just kidding) Thank you!

#5 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

And you might check if your drive (CD/DVD) is properly detected in the BIOS...and check the connections for the drive.

Louis

Thanks for the response hamluis. I'd like to check that out but i'm retarded! At least thats what my wife says. Could you tell me how to go about that?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Not knowing the make/model of your computer I can't say for sure. Most times to get to the BIOS you reboot the machine and tap the delete key

"I'd like to check that out but i'm retarded!" Your words not mine :thumbsup: , just be careful what you do when you're in there
Actually, when you boot the computer, watch the screen closely. After the memory check, it will list the devices it recognizes. Hopefully it sees your optical drive
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Not knowing the make/model of your computer I can't say for sure. Most times to get to the BIOS you reboot the machine and tap the delete key

"I'd like to check that out but i'm retarded!" Your words not mine :thumbsup: , just be careful what you do when you're in there
Actually, when you boot the computer, watch the screen closely. After the memory check, it will list the devices it recognizes. Hopefully it sees your optical drive
Mark

Thanks, I'll be carefull! I still haven't been able to put norton on yet. I used the removal tool the tried to put it on but just when every thing looked like it was going my way a little box poped up and said done but with script error on page, do you want to proceed anyway and I said no. I tried to go into safe mode to put norton on but the computer hangs up in the procces and i never get to safe mode. Have you ever heard of this or know what to do?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

Many people don't like Norton. It's rather bloated and slows things down. Have a look here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
I use AVG for 4 years and Avast is nice also
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Many people don't like Norton. It's rather bloated and slows things down. Have a look here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
I use AVG for 4 years and Avast is nice also
Mark

I'll give it A try. Every time I try to put norton on I have a problem. I don't know but I have a feeling there's a viruse on my computer so I'll see if I can find it with this AVG. I still have about two hours or so of down load time left so I'll let you know how things have turned out. At any rate its nice meeting you mark. Thanks again.
Bill

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

If you have a feeling somethings not quite right , visit our virus and malware section. the people there will be glad to help you sort things out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users