Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Startup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 want to learn

want to learn

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

HELP!Trying to turn on Computer, shows xp trying to startup, then goes to black screen with the 'log in to Windows'Box, when I log in it breifly shows my background and then shuts down and goes back to 'log in to windows box', is there anything I can do, have we lost everything on the computer, Last thing that happened: Was doing a scan with AVG at the time it asked to move something to vault, desktop background came up and went black with the log in box
It is actually my brother in laws computer but I have it here with me to try to fix with alot of help from you guys, Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eggway

eggway

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

Did u try to run AVG scan again in safe mode?

If not, try it and delete all found item

you can also download hijackthis at http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

start a new topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ with the hijackthis log

#3 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:38 AM

It wont let me get into anything, I enter the password to login to windows, it flashes the background of the desktop, no Icons for programs, then logs itself off and goes back to Log in to Windows box, the rest of the screen is black. will run hijack this and post it for you.
Thanks Carla

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:09 AM

Hello Carla,

Please see this article. Scroll down to the end and read the section entitled "Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP"
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:30 AM

I cannot get Windows to open for me, at all, so I cant run hijack this or get the the start menu
Thanks Carla

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:59 AM

Boot your computer using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins press "R" to enter the Recovery Console. If prompted enter the Administrator password (if you don't have a password leave it blank). You should then see a prompt reading C:\Windows (or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP).

Type the following command and press Enter:

CD SYSTEM32

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You should now (hopefully) be able to login successfully
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:52 AM

Thankyou Budapest, got into the recovery console, but the computer could not find COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE, any ideas. Its getting closer, it now gets to the welcome window with all the user names, I tried logging on to one and it trys then logs off and back to the welcome screen?
Carla

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:35 AM

What happened when you entered CD SYSTEM32? Did you try using lower case when you typed the command?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

I did not try lower case, typed in CD SYSTEM32 pressed enter and it came back with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32, it could not find COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE, can i do a hijack this log in dos?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:58 AM

I think you need to pause after you type the CD command...let it change...and then type the copy command.

I have the impression you are typing both commands at once, which won't work.

Louis

#11 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:32 AM

typed in CD SYSTEM32 enter, displayed C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>
typed in COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE enter, displayed THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED

I have tried the above in lowercase, uppercase, I get the same message,
Thanks Carla

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

Well, I may be wrong...but I've always thought that the RC only executes one command at a time. I am wrong :thumbsup:.

Basic info on using the Copy command, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...y.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

#13 want to learn

want to learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:01 AM

Would I be able to copy the userinit.exe file from my working computer to a floppy disk and then copy it to the computer that cannot log on, if I could do this could someone tell me how?

Carla

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

You should be able to do that. After you have copied the file to the floppy put it in the computer that won't boot, and in the Recovery Console type the following:

A:

The prompt should now be:

A:\>

Then type:

COPY USERINIT.EXE C:\SYSTEM32\WSAUPDATER.EXE

Then reboot.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

I have split your hijackthis log and it is posted Here.
Please refrain from asking for help from other members or staff while you are being instructed by a member of the HJT Team.
The HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users