Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Inbox Messages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikegru

mikegru

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi - I just went through some extensive cleaning with another very helpful associate, and while the PC is running well now, after installing SP2, Outlook Express began running very slowly, and today, it would not open any of my saved "inbox" messages. Inbox.dbx existed until I ran defrag, then tried to compact the file - now it's gone. Used to have 2gb of saved "Inbox" email messages, now, it's 137k. Is it possible to recover the Inbox.dbx file? The thread to the work recently finished on the PC is here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic108377-90.html

Thanks - Mike

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hi Mike,

Try this from Inside Outlook Express:
Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mikegru

mikegru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

I've looked through these and other info pages on OE, but can't find my specific issue. A couple years ago I had a similar issue, and bought OE Mail Recovery (or some similarly named program - it's installed in my PC at work, not with me at home). Tried running that program, but it doesn't find the deleted inbox folder. Disk space available has now increased by 2gb, telling me that Inbox.dbx has somehow been deleted. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to determine where the folder went, and if there's a way to recover it. After compressing the mail folders and running defrag, the original inbox folder disappeared, and I cannot find it using "search" or OE Mail recovery. My gut tells me it's gone, but I figured maybe you guys have a few tricks up your sleeve. Thanks - Mike

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

Compacting will remove messages if it is interrupted, or if your folders are extremely large.
Are there any BAK files in the Recycle Bin?

DBXpress is the only chance you have of retrieving messages deleted during compacting.
See OE Tips, scroll to Tip #4.

Hope this helps.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 mikegru

mikegru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

There are no .bak files anywhere that relate to OE. Can DBXpress recover files if there appear to be no signs of the previous "inbox" anywhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users