Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! My Usb Mass Storage Device Has Malfunctioned!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 angel_on_line

angel_on_line

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

Please Help! I had an error message box popped up about 25 minutes ago stating "The USB Mass storage device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device."
What do I do? What is the USB Mass storage device? If I shut down the computer I am concerned that it won't come back on. I have a HP all in one printer, a dsl box and a seagate external hard drive. Could it be any of these?
I do not know what to do at this moment?
When I look up the details about the driver it says that it is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

Sincerely
Angelonline

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Welcome to BC
I would say it's your USB hard drive
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 angel_on_line

angel_on_line
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

Thank you for the welcome Mark,
Do you know anything about this type of issue? Should I unplug everything except for my mother board? I am not sure what to do. At the bottom of the power surge message it says "to reenable the port, disconnect the hardware and click Reset (on the message box). IF you click close, the port will no longer function." THAT SOUNDS SERIOUS! So sorry for the caps, I am a little on edge. Do you have any advice?
Thank you
Angelonline

#4 angel_on_line

angel_on_line
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Please mark this solved! It was my seagate external hard drive! Thanks for your help!
Angelonline

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:47 AM

To prevent this from happening again, you can get a USB hub that is powered by an AC adaptor. The problem is that the external Seagate was demanding more power than a typical USB port is capable of supplying.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/USB/hubs.mspx

A Hub that is powered by an AC adaptor will cost you $20 and solve everything. And give you a bunch more ports.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users