Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers Wont Stay Installed On Pc:(

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hey guys I was hoping someone could help me out here. I just formated my computer and re-installed windows xp pro. Well when I but in my gigabyte MB drivers disk it installed several things, but would not install the usb2.0 drivers untill I got Service Pack2. So now I have sp2 and the usb2.0 install isn't an option anymore. So when I plug in my USB mass storage device I get the message that it will be running slow. I wish this was my only problem, BUT I also noticed in Device Manager There is a yellow ? mark next to "PCI Device", "USB Controller" and "Video Controller" I can get rid of these by updating the drivers by searching through the cd roms but after a reboot it goes back to the way it was. So even when I put in my Display Driver installation cd and install it, nothing is changed after a reboot. Anyone know what the heck is going on here? Thanks so much in advace. :thumbsup:
Colin
Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

I would go to your Video cards web site an download the latest drivers. Afterdownloading check in device manager the drivers on the cd have not installed, if they have uninstall them and reboot. When you reboot you should get a meesage new divice found, a search box will come up, cancel it, then got to where you downloaded the latest drivers install them. But turn off all antivirus software b4 installing.
For your gigabyte usb go to there web site an see if there is an update for your motherboard chip set .
If you dont know what series of MB you have download this link http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
MCP
MSDST

#3 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I am a bit confused. Are you saying after I find the drivers from the video card site. Delete the items with a ? mark next to them and then install the newly downloaded drivers?
I have Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 AM2 NFORCE 570 and I did go to their site without finding any answers because the site was a bit confusing for me. I'll have to check it out again

#4 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

I found the right model but does it matter what rev. 1.0 it is? there is rev. 1.0 and rev. 1.1 but that program doesn't tell me wich mine is and it's not in the manual

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

Your motherboard manual should tell, but...you should be able to also msinfo32 or Belarc Advisor to get that info.

Start/Run...type msinfo32...when screen settles, look to right, System Model.

If the drivers won't stay installed, that's highly unusual, even if they are wrong. I think I'd take a look in Event Viewer, just for the heck of it.

Louis

#6 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hey I got most of everything to work! I disabled some startup programs in msconfig (Not sure if that is the same thing as event viewer?) and amazingly it will let me install the drivers. For some reason though the audio driver wont install. I'm downloading that now from the gigabyte site. I hope that works. Hey I do have another easy question for ya though, for some reason I can no longer right click on a link and open it in a new window. The option is there, but nothing happens. I have IE6, maybe I should just get firefox? Thnks for your help buddy

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

<<...for some reason I can no longer right click on a link and open it in a new window>>

Specifics, clarification...can you not right-click, does the right-click not bring up options, can you not elect the options...get the idea :thumbsup:?

And I fail to see what startup programs have to do with driver installation.

I think your system is in need of help.

Louis

#8 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Ya the whole thing was pretty weird. I hope I don't rum into anymore problems and I REALLY hope this audio driver works. I need to listen to my bands:)
LOL sorry I shold of been more specific about the new window thing. I can right click and get the options but when I left click on open in new window nothing happens:\ weird

#9 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

Actualy it wont let me click on any direct download links and recieve the download. nothing happens at all... BUT I can right click and go to save as and it works.. even weirder lol

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

Is XP current with critical updates?

Is a firewall installed?

What malware defenses does the system have?

Louis

#11 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hey Louis, I since I just got everything running I am installing my virus protection and firewall now. I have all the updates I needed and am using firefox now so that internet link problem is no longer a problem:) woohoo I've been working on this for 3 days. the program I'm about to install is CA internet Security Suite because that is provided for free from out ISP and then I'll probably also get spybot S&D

#12 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hi, good to see its all coming togeather, is your audio working okay?
MCP
MSDST

#13 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

Yup! After getting the drivers from the MB's page it worked fine:) Thanks for asking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users