Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Original Vista Hp Lap Top To Linux Os Now Back To Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hi there, yup it's me again! (please note that this is technically about linux and vista on my HP Laptop - but also about vista software I did have for 3D graphic design - so I'm sure that I'm posting 2 different topics in one forum - so I apologies... :inlove: ????? sorry :cool:
????
I posted the below topic about when a friend installed linux over my custom vista package with laptop, on 22 Oct (( Thanks to you all...BlackSpdyer, JoeDude Trio 3B and Arcman - you guys are great - and as for you BlackSpyder - well, your'e out there and it seems that not many posts pass you by. I think you have answered many of my problems, so :) :) :thumbsup: :flowers:
to you!!!

Despite all your help, and as much as I am coming to learn and appreciate Linux, I just don't have the time now to learn all that I can do with my eyes shut on the hated Vista.

I am just starting to remodel and renovate a beach house in Scarborough Cape Town, and using linux takes up most of my time simply searching for files or other stuff.

So, I am now in possession of a newly (& legally!!) bought copy of Win Vista Home Premium - which is what I had in the first place...!! The friend who installed linux had intended to partition the drives for linux and Vista something like 60% for Vista (could be very wrong here) and the 40% for linux, but it somehow got reversed.

This the info I found (after searching....) for System Monitor rekating to Linux Ubuntu"
Ubuntu 7.1 Gutsy...(yeah I know - great excitiment about great gutsy gibbon...!!!)
Kerel Linux 21.15 generic
Gnome: 2.20.0
2.0 GB
Sys dsk available = 66.3GB

Ok, so NOW, this is where the fun starts (well to some of us anyway...)

The friend that installed the linux is away so can't help me with installing Vista.. My concers that jumping in feet first (my usual way..!!), are going to ruin the partitions in some way leading to loosing most if not all data etc on Linux.

From ALL you wonderful experts, what advice, tips, tricks, detailed step by step walk through guide for dummies.. would you suggest.

Oh, did I happen to mention that my first meeting with my 2nd hired architect takes place tomorrow Saturday 27th, at midday Central East African time (it's now 00:12 saturday 27th in cape town)

The reason for this "urgency" is that I need to be prepared with documents, drawings, structural aspects etc in order for him to work as quickly as possible to submit the plans to two different coucils for approval - as in the next week or so, so that, fingers crossed, the plans will be approved and building can start in the new year. (hush hush - this is south africa, where everything takes just that little bit longer, hush hush..!!)

Additionally, I have just bought a new canon 510 printer / scanner, and Corel Paint Shop = all of which are only for Win Vista - not linux
So I need to use this software, which I vaguely know how to use (canon 510 no problem - corel, not to sure!)

You see, ideally, what i need to present to him tomorrow are plans / drawings / sketches etc, of my intended designs. And you might say, well just grab some paper and draw - - no...... stick men are the limit in my drawing abilities. I have all the ideas in my head, plaion as could be, just can't put them in tangiable form....

Ooops, sorry, seem to have taken a huge digression there.

Back to business. Do I, or do I not attempt to install vista along side Linux ?????

I don't want to lose Linux, but for now just need the old style windows back.

If the general outcome is NO No No (I'm NOT good with the tech stuff just to warn you..), and I have a strong feeling that you are going to say NO, het a pref to help you.... then does anyone know how I can get the plans and ideas from inside my head onto paper or graphics ????

I have QCad on linux (supposed to be very good - that's if your a pro at graphical design). I've tried other programs - Google Sketch not 100% ready for linux. Also, at the moment it's 2 stories, and I'm building a 3rd, so 3d design and walkthoughs is paramount.

I don't know, sorry, my mind is racing in too many directions at once - hence the rambling and digressions.

But, if anyone, can please help in laymans terms, well, lets just say that my little house might just be finished for xmas 2008!!!
Cheers all

Nat

:trumpet: hrlp

Just remembered that I have the original house plans although not up to date but good enough, and plenty of photos...Would this help??

Installed Linux Over Vista Long-time Windows user - Linux Newbie Lost in Translation Linux & Unix nat 4 88 22nd October 2007 - 07:40 AM
Last post by: BlackSpyder

Edited by nat, 26 October 2007 - 05:50 PM.

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

I think it can be done.

1)Ensure you have a Ubuntu Live Cd handy

2)Windows "should" assume that hda1=C:\ so you should be able to install windows in the Free space of the drive

3)Boot and makes sure Windows works (note: Windows has overwritten GRUB at this point so you're not going to be able to get to Linux just yet)

4)Once satisfied that Windows works reboot and insert the Ubuntu Live CD and follow these instructions (up to the Edit) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2...ight=repair+mbr

now you should be able to boot to Windows or Linux

BTW: Thank You for the kind words. Good Luck!

Posted Image

#3 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:42 AM

I agree with blackspyder. I only have a small thing to add:

When you reinstall Vista, there will be a screen that comes up talking about partitions, make sure to only install it on the space that isn't your linux partitions. This will be easily defined, as being windows, it will probably identify these partitions as unknown. Tell it to format and partition only the empty space, or the space you previously had vista on (whih will probably be an ntfs partition), whichever applies. This will almost guarantee your linux partitions will remain in tact and safe. I say almost because whenever you mess with the partitions, there's always a possibility something could go wrong.

As always, the ubuntu manuals, forums and wiki are the best place to get your guidance concerning anything Ubuntu. That link Blackspyder gave is perfect for what you want.

If time is this critical, you may want to leave the linux partition for a bit until you have enough time later to restore it...unless you have files in there you need to use.

Edited by Joedude, 27 October 2007 - 02:58 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

now you should be able to boot to Windows or Linux

BTW: Thank You for the kind words. Good Luck!
[/quote]

Hi again BlackSpyder

I am now back up on vista with linux dual boot. Having only used Linux briefly, I can now see the huge difference between that and Windows - Vista of course. Since having Vista as dual boot - it has crashed time after time - Linux doesn't..!!

The only reason I needed Vista basck was because of the software that I bought - Canon MP510 and Corel paint shop pro- which together work very well, making light work of scanning and printing. I am interior designing a house, and as such scan multiple magazine pages / photos etc.

If I could just have the exact same software to work on linux - then all problems would be gone. Is it possible?

My Printer / Scanner is a Canon MP510 and I have Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo (for Vista of course). The great thing about the scanner is that it lets you scan multiple scans without having to name and save each scan seperately. Also, it lets you set the dpi settings which makes it quick and easy to scan in low resolution format. This would be great to have in Linux...??.

I cannot seem to change the printing settings in Linux. The print copies come out in very small font size, image size etc.

????
Nat

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

hey Nat why not try Cross over office (its only $40 but has a free trial). Check it out here.

Posted Image

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

Xara Xtreme
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:22 AM

Xara Xtreme
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

:thumbsup:
Hi Raw

Thanks for the info - but having downloaded xarasaxtreme - it has moved my music and files from where they were, and Amarok can no no longer my music.

How can I totally uninstall this. I have gone into Add/Remove but the program is not listed, and therefore can't find how else to uninstall / remove.

Hope you can help get rid of it !

Many thanks :flowers:

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:58 AM

Im going to assume you went with the Autopackage version.

To uninstall Xara Xtreme from your system just type "package remove xaralx" at a command line. Note that this will only work if you installed using the Autopackage.

Note with Ubuntu you may have to add the "sudo" prefix to that command (ie "sudo package remove xarax")

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users