Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Linking Desktop And Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I have a desktop computer running WinXp Home connected via an ethernet cable to a Netgear wireless router then to broadband modem.
I have just got a Compaq laptop running Vista Home Basic that is connected to router wirelessly.
Both connect to the internet perfectly.
What I want to know is how to make the 2 computers "talk" to each other so if I work on files on one computer it will update the other. Is it possible to link the computers through the router or do I have to have a wireless card in the desktop too? Is this possible to do without copying to movable media first? I have an external h/d that I use for backups and have been copying from that but if it could be automated it would be easier. I read a bit about Briefcase but when I tried that I just made a mess of my files.
Could someone offer my some advice as I am getting more confused by the minute. Might be easier if both o/s were the same.
Any help appreciated!
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hi wildchild, just a thought all my media files are saved to a mapeed netwrk drive so everyone can access them to a link in my computer, you can map it on vista or xp I do it on vista because it has more drive space. Have a look at the link http://www.vista4beginners.com/Map-Network-Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users