Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod While Browsing On Newly Installed Modem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pavones

Pavones

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hey all,

I've just got a new ISDN (yes I know it's antiquated for most of you, but in a third world country in the boonies, it's great!) modem. Install went smooth, (with unsigned drivers) initial connection fine, browsing honky dory, then BLAM>

DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

nMUSB.sys Address A870e0f5 base at A870C000 Datestamp 45210f27

Of course, nMUSB is the ISDN modem driver. I went to thier site (intracom-telecom.com), and I've already got the latest firmware for the modem. I downloaded the drivers (it appeared to be a newer version) followed instructions to the T, and reinstalled. It ended up being the same driver version (2.41 CAPI).

Actually it is working now (it's my only connection to the internet now) so maybe I shouldn't complain, but it seems random as to when it decides to BSOD. It happened the most times when I was trying to download the newest version of the drivers. It did also happen when just browsing.

Is this even fixable?

I've put in an email to the company in Greece that makes these, and am awaiting a response.

Any help to stop the BSOD's would be great.

Aloha,
dean
ACER Aspire 5630 2gig ram, 160gig HD, XP sp3, Firefox, AVGfree
(2) Toshiba Satellite 2455-s305 laptops, 768MB ram and 512MB, 60Gig HDs, WinXP SP2, Firefox/Thunderbird, AVGFree, Adaware2007, Spybot SD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:38 AM

After you reinstalled the driver are you still getting the BSOD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

After you reinstalled the driver are you still getting the BSOD?

Yes, indeed.

TIA,
dean
(2) Toshiba Satellite 2455-s305 laptops, 768MB ram and 512MB, 60Gig HDs, WinXP SP2, Firefox/Thunderbird, AVGFree, Adaware2007, Spybot SD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:50 AM

Take a look in Event Viewer, looking for errors.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

From what I see, that driver is legit and should be working properly.

Always the possibility of corruption, so I would not mind doing the uninstall/reinstall routine.

I don't think I would have worried about modem firmware, unless I thought that it was pertinent. Drivers are pertinent, firmware would be pertinent if the home website indicated that I needed it for system compatibility/driver compatibility.

Louis

#5 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

Event Viewer System Log had this error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 10/27/2007
Time: 8:52:41 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DANEWACER
Description:
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 ba95a0f5.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 64 100000d
0020: 31 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 1 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 38 2c 20 000008,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 32 00000002
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
0048: 30 30 2c 20 62 61 39 35 00, ba95
0050: 61 30 66 35 a0f5

Following the link provides this:
Explanation
A blue screen (Stop error) was reported. The message contains details about the error. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred.

User Action
No user action is required.

However, I think Action is required :flowers:

I can try the uninstall/reinstall again, but I've already done it a couple of times. I have since gone to intel's site to download the latest chipset inf drivers for good measure, thinking that perhaps there was a compatibility issue with nMUSB.sys and intel's USB driver...

I checked the firmware because the manufactures, site suggested it... thanks.

I have gone another route now. I've used my old, overheating toshiba satellite to act as a firewall running smoothwall. It took a little hacking to get the usb modem from greece to work, but it's dandy now :thumbsup:

I still have not resolved the nMUSB.sys BSOD issue though, and would like to put that to bed, as the laptop running smoothwall is destined to die soon.

TIA,
dean

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Well...let's go back to the system.

A few facts, please.

These IRQL issues usually...are bad hardware, bad drivers, or both.

I find it hard to believe that Event Viewer only reflected one error.

How about giving the old hard drive a check and verifying the system specs are compatible with XP?

I guess I'm just not convinced that we are focusing on the right thing.

Have you uninstalled the modem...and booted? Has the error appeared then?

Ignore the obvious (Device Manager) and check the System tab of Event Viewer for errors with the modem uninstalled.

Louis

#7 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

Well...let's go back to the system.

A few facts, please.

Sure.

These IRQL issues usually...are bad hardware, bad drivers, or both.

Agreed. I think the company hasn't kept their drivers up to date. Mine is the "latest" and is dated Oct 2, 2006. (more than a year old) Microsoft has since released many fixes which may be causing the driver to take a poo.

I find it hard to believe that Event Viewer only reflected one error.

Me too, so for fun, I checked it again. The only errors are identical to the one I already posted, indicating a system Halt. Actually there are two more from when I canceled a CD burn, and warnings from when I unplugged my network cable.

How about giving the old hard drive a check and verifying the system specs are compatible with XP?

? Hard drive? I think you mean modem? In any case the hard drive is a WDC WD 1600BEVS-22RST0 it's a 160 gig SATA drive in an acer laptop, 5630-6288 (oops, forgot to update my signature). I'm fairly certain the modem is NOT listed under the HCL for windows, and as I mentioned earlier, the install was with an unsigned driver from the manufacturer.

I guess I'm just not convinced that we are focusing on the right thing.

We may not be :thumbsup:

Have you uninstalled the modem...and booted? Has the error appeared then?

Yes and no. I actually have had it unplugged (now plugged into the smoothwall) and since moving it, have had no BSOD. I then uninstalled the driver to test fate. Nothing either. It only BSOD'd when I was using the modem.

Ignore the obvious (Device Manager) and check the System tab of Event Viewer for errors with the modem uninstalled.

Yep, there are no errors.

Louis

Thanks for your help Louis... any other ideas? I'm guessing that it's because the driver is simply old, and I just have to hope that intracom releases a newer version. For now, it's running on a bundled acm driver in linux... ah the beauty of open source.

dean

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

FWIW: A driver for XP from 2006 is not necessarily old.

New drivers are needed when only when additional known functionality can be gained for a device or system compatibility issues arise.

XP came out in 2001, I have programs installed and working properly from 2002 and during the early years of XP, many folks just used the old Win 2K drivers.

It seems to me that you need to pursue this with whomever provided a modem that is not compatible (your judgment) with XP, whatever the reason may be that such occurred.

If you are the only person with this issue, there won't be a database to follow up on.

FWIW: A hard drive can go bad anytime, the year that it's made, the type, the manufacturer...none of those things determine if the drive will be bad or not. I wasn't implying that your hard drive was chronologically old, just using a common phrase.

Last One :thumbsup:: Unsigned drivers don't mean much, my system has a ton of them which work quite well with XP. I'm sure others do also.

Louis

#9 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

FWIW: A driver for XP from 2006 is not necessarily old.

New drivers are needed when only when additional known functionality can be gained for a device or system compatibility issues arise.

XP came out in 2001, I have programs installed and working properly from 2002 and during the early years of XP, many folks just used the old Win 2K drivers.

Hmmm. 2K drivers... maybe I'll try to force those :trumpet: thanks for the idea.

I think for me, a BSOD is a compatability issue... maybe I just got a bunk modem? But then again, why is it working now with linux?

It seems to me that you need to pursue this with whomever provided a modem that is not compatible (your judgment) with XP, whatever the reason may be that such occurred.

If you are the only person with this issue, there won't be a database to follow up on.

Yeah, I figured. The modem comes from the government owned communications utility in Costa Rica, but is made in Greece. Go figure. I've got an email in to the modem manufacturer's support people, but that was Friday and here we are in the weekend :thumbsup: Their FAQ actually has an entry for BSOD for nMUSB.sys... it's not a new issue. They simply say check the hardware and firmware version, get the new driver, uninstall, reinstall. Oh well.

FWIW: A hard drive can go bad anytime, the year that it's made, the type, the manufacturer...none of those things determine if the drive will be bad or not. I wasn't implying that your hard drive was chronologically old, just using a common phrase.

Heh. I've actually had my own external and 2 friend's drives go bad in the last month or two... down here in Costa Rica the changes in humidity and temperature wreak havoc on drives... I go through about one a year... I guess I was a little paranoid 'cause this one is new ;)

Last One :flowers:: Unsigned drivers don't mean much, my system has a ton of them which work quite well with XP. I'm sure others do also.

Louis

I use unsigned drivers for certain HW too... just thought it might be out of touch/date with XP's progression and fixes.

Thanks again for all your help. I hope Intracom gets back to me at some point.
Aloha,
dean

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:36 AM

Good luck :thumbsup:.

Yes, I know about the weather...I spent almost 3 years in Panama's humidity and rain.

Louis

#11 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

***update***

Well, the good ol' win2k drivers seem to do the trick (if my smoothwall takes a dump). they just don't make them like they used to. Incidentally, the modem makers never even responded... way to stand behind your product Intracom.

Aloha,
dean

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users