Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista And The "older Generation"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Another Golden Oldie

Another Golden Oldie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Hello every one, I have just been pointed at this site by my son, and told to read what you all say cos i could get to understand computers better and i have enjoyed reading your many topics (I think he gets frustrated with me sometimes :huh: I have recently bought new pc with vista on (when i was so happy with xp) My problem is my photo's wont open on this. It comes up with an error box that says" photo viewer,dll specified module could not be found. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how can i put it right

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

What's the name of the missing .dll?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Another Golden Oldie

Another Golden Oldie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

What's the name of the missing .dll?

Hello tg1911, The problem is to do with "my pictures" when i go to open up a photo or try to run the slideshow an error box pops up and says " error loading D:\ program files \blah blah photoviewer.dll" the specified module could not be found. I have never been able to open up photo's since the day i got the pc. I do have picassa which allows me to view my photos but i make cards and it would be so much easier if i could use "my pctures with graphics programes.
Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. If you need any more info i will have to get son to do it as i'm not up on pc jargon
Pat :huh:

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

What version of Vista do you have? When you click on the "Pictures" folder, does it open with anything in it, or is this where the problem is?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Another Golden Oldie

Another Golden Oldie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

What version of Vista do you have? When you click on the "Pictures" folder, does it open with anything in it, or is this where the problem is?

I have Home Premium, I can see my photo's but when i click on it to print off say or go to run that folder as a slideshow, an error box comes up on the screen and i can't get any further

#6 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

The name of the missing dll I assume is 'photoviewer.dll' as the OP indicated in his first post. I've been looking on various vista forums and this is not an isolated problem, though I've yet to see any reference to a solution. One workaround is to install a free third-party photo-viewer. IrfanView may not sound pretty but it's free, fully-featured, does slideshows, and is compatible with Vista. Once installed, make it your default viewer for jpeg files if you like it. Get it here: http://www.irfanview.com/

Oh, and welcome to the forum, 'Another Golden Oldie'. I'm fast approaching 60 myself and have been using computers since the days when an understanding of DOS was required. I haven't made the jump from XP to Vista yet as I believe Vista still needs a while to settle down, wrinkles ironed out, and for the device manufacturers to get their drivers sorted out. Next year perhaps.

Edited by pip22, 29 October 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#7 Another Golden Oldie

Another Golden Oldie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thank you pip 22 will look into that, when you say DOS it sounds like you're swearing at me, :huh: thats how new i am but hey you have to go with the times......
Hang onto your xp as long as possible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users