Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore "next" Button Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davepoth

Davepoth

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

Last night I tried to install new drivers for my modem. It didn't work so I used system restore to roll back to the previous version. (the modem driver uninstalls the old one first, so rollback doesn't work)

I restart and get a lovely BSOD.

Fortunately I have a winME dualboot on this system and the XP partition is FAT32 so I could get in and swap the registry files around to use the backup registry file in the "repair" directory. I got into XP, swapped the registry files back around, and then restarted. The PC booted into XP, so I ran System Restore to get back to an earlier restore point. I selected the restore point, and pressed "Next", and nothing happened. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

Go into the Device Manager and delete the modem. Then reboot your computer. Windows should then recognise the modem as new hardware and reinstall it using the generic Windows driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Davepoth

Davepoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:50 AM

No generic windows driver (tried that) and at the moment I cannot restore to the point where the bad drivers are installed, let alone get back to a good configuration. Does anybody know why system restore would fail like this?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:11 AM

In that case I would try reinstalling the driver again. Download a fresh copy in case the one you had was corrupted. If you get the BSOD problem again you should be able to boot into Safe Mode and remove the driver.

Also, what is the make and model of the modem, and what version driver are you trying to install?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Davepoth

Davepoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:26 AM

In that case I would try reinstalling the driver again. Download a fresh copy in case the one you had was corrupted. If you get the BSOD problem again you should be able to boot into Safe Mode and remove the driver.

Also, what is the make and model of the modem, and what version driver are you trying to install?

I can't actually boot into safe mode for some reason, or if I can it takes an excessively long time. The modem driver isn't an issue at the moment, as it isn't installed at all. The problem I have is that at the moment it is running on the "repair" registry, as the one that I restored to that caused my BSOD issue doesn't work. Because I'm using that registry none of the user accounts are available, and none of the programs installed work, so I need to run system restore back to an older restore point to get all of that back.

FWIW I've got a Sagem F@ST 800. I couldn't tell you what driver version I was trying to install as it's been uninstalled and the install program is on the desktop of one of the users I can't log in as. :thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:42 AM

Well...I'm just guessing here but I suspect that swapping around the registry files has somehow "corrupted" system restore. You may want to consider doing a repair install of XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users