Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can A Virtual Dvd Burner Burn When Only Cd-wr Exists?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sam8988378

sam8988378

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:21 PM

I just got a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-EZ47V), and found it has no instructions for hooking it up to the computer. I have many movies larger than a standard 700MB CD disk which I would like to view on my tv. My computer (win xp pro)only has a DVD-ROM, and a CD-RW. Sure, I could buy an external DVD burner, but I just had to buy a new tv *looks in vain for the empty pockets emoticon*. I already tried to burn a DVD with the CD-RW, and it doesn't recognize the disk.

I see much about virtual DVD drives and virtual DVD burners. Would a virtual DVD burner be able to persuade my CD-RW to burn a DVD? I admit that I don't know much about virtual drives, even wondered why they were necessary when even basic computers like mine have the standard DVD reader & CD-RW. I've read about them, but nothing really explained this. Thanks for the help. They're horror movies & 'tis the season! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

DVDs and CDs use two different laser wave lengths so you will not be able to mix the two. You will need an video card that will convert the output of the recorder to the necessary signal for the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:22 AM

To make a CD on your computer, that might be able to be viewed through your Panasonic, you would have to burn a VCD, or SVCD.
Your Panasonic would have to support these formats.

More information can be found here:
How do I make a VCD,SVCD or (mini)DVD?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 sam8988378

sam8988378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

DVDs and CDs use two different laser wave lengths so you will not be able to mix the two. You will need an video card that will convert the output of the recorder to the necessary signal for the computer.

Thank you! I didn't know about the laser wave lengths. Nothing says just isn't going to work like the facts. I think all the slots are full, so no place to put another video card. Happily, a surprise infusion of birthday cash will make the purchase of a USB-connected external DVD burner possible.

#5 sam8988378

sam8988378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

To make a CD on your computer, that might be able to be viewed through your Panasonic, you would have to burn a VCD, or SVCD.
Your Panasonic would have to support these formats.

More information can be found here:
How do I make a VCD,SVCD or (mini)DVD?

I followed the link and bookmarked it. I'll add info from the Panasonic (as it isn't listed), as soon as I get it set up & play around with it a bit, but from the manual, apparently it plays Divx & Avi.

Wow, there's going to be a lot of learning going on, even though I think I'm going the relatively easy route and (thanks to the above-mentioned largesse) and buying an external DVD burner. Although it took 2 days to research & decide on a new tv, I've think found my new equipment: http://external-dvd-burner-review.toptenre...tor-review.html. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users