Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windowsme Explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 justice501

justice501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

I have encounter a small problem with my computer that has windows me. The computer is a compq pesario 5000 Series. Bought used, came with no systems disks. Form what I can tell and been told that all the neccesary .cab and .dlls are on the harddrive. My register is back up by the system and I also do it it on a regular basis manually. I also made a boot disk on a floppy that works and I can bring up the A: prompt and also have the various tools Dos tools loaded. I have not done a system backup due to what so far apears this system is really infected. I had run spy-bot and clean out a mes a demons. Then I was running an online virus checker that I seen at this site and some program kick on that I thought had been shut down. I think that how the explorer.exe got corrupted. My plans are extracking the explorer from the .cab and restoreing it back in windows using the Dos commands I have. Two ??? does anyone Knows what .cab that window explorer is in, and what is the correct area in windows it goes. Apparently that why it want start it had been remove? I search the widows directory,system directory and system32. Also I try hitting the F4 Key for this type of unit and that does not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:56 AM

If the Windows Me backup files on your hard disk are an exact mirror of those on an Me installation CD, the file 'explorer.exe' is located at:
WIN_8.CAB

As you are probably aware, cabinet files are compressed so you will need to use the 'extract' command to expand and copy the file to where you want it to go.

#3 justice501

justice501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Thanks that ought to take care of that problem. I get from work Tuesday I give that a try. The extract file is on my startup disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users