Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning My Old Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hi. Firstly may I say that this is a great website and thank the guys who help people out on here. I discovered the site recently when my wifes laptop became infected with Trojans. Whilst this did not cure the problems she was having I resolved it by wiping her hard drive and making a clean installation on her machine.
I also had problems with my PC recently but this was a hardware fault which meant that I had to buy a new hard disk and make a clean installation of my operating system on it. I now have the PC fully back up and running with my old hard disk as a Slave. Now, my old hard disk contains many files and data accumulated over several years. It was not giving me any particular problems and I am running Norton Internet Security 2004 and Norton Antivirus 2005 which are fully updated and detect no problems on my machine. However, following my wifes problems, I discovered from your site that Norton does not detect many problems that other software can. I would very much like to run a few scans on my old hard disk to thoroughly check it out so that my new clean operating system has no chance of getting infected from data/files that I all ready had on my PC. So I wondered if somebody could give me some good advice on what programs to download and use to scan my PC just to give it a thorough check up? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

It is not a good idea to install more than one AV on your computer; there are, however, several on-line sites that will scan your computer for free:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

See the second topic.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:42 AM

See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps and List of Virus & Malware Resources

SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
The free version does not run in real-time mode...a purchased upgrade to the "Professional" version is required before this option can be activated. See Free vs Pro Comparison Features. If your using the free version, use it as an on-demand scanner...no need to run at startup.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users