Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daylight Savings Time Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nemslistings

nemslistings

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi all,

Here at work, we have around 40 computers around our store and for some reason the windows time keeps getting off even with the microsoft patch installed. My local machine in the office seems fine but the machines in the store were very random when time changed in the spring. We had computers go 1 or 2 hours ahead and sometimes 1 or 2 hours behind. The first thing I checked was the time zone but that was not it in most cases. If I corrected the time, I would just come back a few hours later to see that the time had changed back even though none of these computers are set to synchronize with an internet time server. We finally just ended up setting the majority of the computers here to not automatically adjust for daylight savings time which seemed to fix everything.........but next weekend we will have to manually update all the times again which can be time consuming especially when some of these computers are on carts and can be moved all about the store. I was thinking about making a batch program to fix this using net time but I'm getting problems there too. On my machine I get this when typing in net time:

Current time at \\SERVER is 10/26/2007 11:25 AM

Local time (GMT-06:00) at \\SERVER is 10/26/2007 10:25 AM

The command completed successfully.

So, if I try to use net time set I'll end up with my machine an hour ahead. I would really like to make this work though not only for the daylight savings thing but also because it is very important for our times to be sychronized for our software we are running.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

All machines here run Windows XP PRO. The server is Windows Server 2003.

Edited by nemslistings, 26 October 2007 - 10:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Possibly CMOS batteries?

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html

Did you check the date/time in the BIOS settings?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2007 - 10:42 AM.

#3 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:45 AM

Just to clarify... Are multiple computers set to different times or are all the computers showing the same incorrect time? Also what time is the server showing? The desktops should be pulling time off the domain controller (the server).

#4 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

Thanks! It's not the CMOS batteries because they are holding time. The time just seems to jump at random either an hour or two hours behind or ahead.

The times are all within a few minutes of each other but no two computers seem to show the same time. Back when the time changed last I had a few random computers jump an hour ahead, a few fall behind, and 1 or 2 jump 2 hours and those are the weird ones. :thumbsup: The weird problem is that some of these times waited to change until like a month after the time change.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:16 PM

Thanks! It's not the CMOS batteries because they are holding time. The time just seems to jump at random either an hour or two hours behind or ahead.

It can still be that the batteries are weak. If the computers are all roughly the same age, that would be suspect. I found an article about the patch not working with Server 2003,. I'll read some more
Mark

Which update did you use, January's or August's?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360/

Edited by garmanma, 26 October 2007 - 12:31 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

Thanks! I wasn't aware that a second patch was released. I'll place it on a few of the known offenders and see what happens and then let you know. :thumbsup:

#7 nemslistings

nemslistings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

Well, I placed the August patch on a computer in my office that runs into that problem and it took it all day but it still jumped the time an hour ahead all of the sudden just a few minutes ago when I was on it. I do not see any reason in the event viewer for the change. There is one thing in that event viewer that deals with time though and it is here:

Warning Event ID=36 W32time
The time service has not been able to sychronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers have been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsychronized.

Could this be a part of the problem?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

What are you synchronizing your clock to? If I remember right, within the last week or two, there were problems at a couple of sites. I can't remember why
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 26 October 2007 - 06:54 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Try setting time-a.nist.gov as your time server. I used to use time.nist.gov until about 6 months ago when it went buggy and I read where it was suggested to time-a.nist.gov as one of the servers which function correctly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users