Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Or Symantec

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eggway

eggway

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

i have mcafee virusScan 8.5i enterprise edition and symantec antivirus 10 Corporate Edition.

Which one should i use on my desktop??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:56 PM

Personally,I would choose neither.
Both have proven to be real pains to remove from your system, if you ever decide to.
They also tend to be system resource hogs.
I would opt for one of the freeware alternatives, for an Antivius, and Firewall.
You can find several good choices in the Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

I would agree, but if you are looking to keep one of the two, I would keep Symantec antivirus 10 Corporate Edition. There is also an updated version called Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

My recommendation is the same as tg1911, as I have seen entirely too many machines that have active Norton or McAfee that cannot remove the viruses they have found.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

For home computers, I would always stick with the free alternatives as others mentioned above.
At work, we use Symantec Corporate Edition and we have had very few problems with it in our environment. The versions that you mention appear to be for a corporate environment. Make sure that the license agreement covers your home computer.

Again, I would always agree to using free alternates for home computers. At work, normally we install something that we can get support for, and can manage from a central location.

Good-luck.
JC

#6 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Some other forum said that enterprise edition or Corporate Edition antivirus is better than home product.
My office tech guy said that too.
In my working area, in the building, level one symantec antivirus Corporate Edition while the second level use mcafee virusScan enterprise edition.

I used the computer before, found that they are all running smooth with 512MB of ram only.

He also say that i wont have to worry at the expiry if i use enterprise edition or Corporate Edition, the company will take care of it.
At home, i use Norton antivirus and mcafee virusScan before, my system slow like snail.

Therefore, i have a choice to use mcafee or symantec....

Any suggestion??

Edited by eggway, 26 October 2007 - 11:27 PM.

#7 flashback30

flashback30

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

I use symantec antivirus 10 Corporate Edition. only because my work supplies it to me. I have no problems with it at all, it doesn't lag like the home version does.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

In the corporate versions, Symantec is better, the other thing that I always bring up is: Make absolutely sure that it is legal under your companies license to use the software on a home computer. See if the company requires that you use their anti virus package if you hook up remotely.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 eggway

eggway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

Flashback30,

if your company does not offer you symantec antivirus 10 Corporate Edition, what will you use?

btw, i have chosen mcafee virusScan

Edited by eggway, 27 October 2007 - 02:04 AM.

#10 flashback30

flashback30

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:12 AM

Flashback30,

if your company does not offer you symantec antivirus 10 Corporate Edition, what will you use?

btw, i have chosen mcafee virusScan

I connect to the network from home so they pretty much stay up to date with it, so they offer us 10 I be leave but i haven't downloaded it from them just yet. but I look at it like as long as you stay up to date on virus definition and watch were you download things from should be pretty safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users