Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns Off For No Reason

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dave91

dave91

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:56 AM

Hi all
im new round here and wondering if any1 could help me
my computer seems to turn off randomly for no reason at all and then when this happens im not able to turn it on for a while, usually around 30-40 mins. ive tried pluggin/unpluggin the power cable and also flicked the power switch on and off in an attempt to get the comp to turn on again. At first i thought the problem was due to over heating, but i have removed the cover and yet the problem still occurs.
ive had problems with it in the past where it used to restart for no reason but thats been fixed with a new motherboard and ive also had the power supply changed about 6 months ago. the power supply is a frontier 450W, motherbaord is an ASRock P4VM800, processor is intel pentium4, the OS is XP.

any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:00 AM

While you've got the cover open check that all the fans are spinning correctly and that the heat sinks over the processors aren't choked with dust.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dave91

dave91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:54 AM

the fans work fine, do i have to remove the fan covering the processor to check the heatsink? as i seem to have a heatsink next to the fan covering the processor.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:05 AM

It depends. You may be able to see if the the heatsink is clogged with dust without removing the fan. If you're not comfortable removing the fan don't bother. You can check your system temps using SpeedFan to see if you have any overheating problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 dave91

dave91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:10 AM

ok thanks for that but at the moment the computer wont turn on. any ideas?
sorry to be a pain..

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

What happens when you try to switch it on? Does anything show on the screen? Do any of the LEDs on the case light up?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 dave91

dave91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:20 AM

nope the computer doesnt do anything not even a startup the fan moves a tiny bit thats about it. screen shows nothing. no LEDS since i got the motherboard replaced 6 months ago, the green and yellow LED at the front of the comp havent worked.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

Well I'm about out of ideas.

The only thing I can suggest is to strip the system down to the bare bones. Take out anything that is not required for the computer to boot such as the video card, sound card, network card, CD/DVD drive and then see if it will boot. If it does then you know the problem is with one of the items you removed. You could put them back in one by one until you find out which one is the problem.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 dave91

dave91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:40 AM

alright will do cheers

#10 dave91

dave91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:12 AM

ive managed to get a green LED light on the comp, turns out a plug was loose. any ideas?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

First thing I would do is check all the other connections. Did you try taking out the sound card etc?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:40 AM

I had a very similar problem. It turned out to be the power supply unit.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#13 dave91

dave91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:56 AM

i took out the graphics card and unplugged the power cable for the comp (which i hadnt done previously) and ran the comp and it worked. i then tried it with the graphics card and it ran. and throughout all of it the green LED was on, so could it be the problem stopping the comp turning on be the power cable or something else??? i dont get it =S

#14 wagepacket1

wagepacket1

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

i took out the graphics card and unplugged the power cable for the comp (which i hadnt done previously) and ran the comp and it worked. i then tried it with the graphics card and it ran. and throughout all of it the green LED was on, so could it be the problem stopping the comp turning on be the power cable or something else??? i dont get it =S

Hello /
have you tried doing this , go to start then cp then system then advanced then start up & recovery , there might be something there mate good luk
Have a good day .
do you
you like the car ?

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

I don't quite understand what you mean. Did you boot the computer with the power cable unplugged??? :thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users