Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files And Transfer Wizard Won't Give Me My Files Back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 justanidiot

justanidiot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

I made the mistake of thinking that FAST would work. Now my files are stuck in USMT2.unc and I can't get them out. I tried looking at the fastconv tool but don't have a clue what to do. Can someone please walk me through this before my wife kills me? The files from the original source are gone. This is the only back up I have.

Edited by justanidiot, 26 October 2007 - 01:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:38 AM

If you have used the files settings and transfer wizard in windows xp and have the output file it created follow these steps to retrieve your files.

1. Make sure the output file (USMT2.unc) is on the current computer computer
2. Goto START, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files Settings and Transfer Wizard
3. Click Next
4. Select New Computer and click Next
5. On the next screen select the very bottom option "I don't need the Wizard Disk......." and click Next
6. Select the bottom option again "Other" and click Browse and find the file (USMT2.unc) then click Next

This should restore your files, if not let me know.

Good luck

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

Have you checked out these MS articles:
How to Troubleshoot Issues with the User State Migration Tool and the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
How to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a wizard disk in Windows XP
How To Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP CD-ROM
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 justanidiot

justanidiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

I understand how to use the wizard. The Message I get is "the folder you specified does not contain data" And yet there are 8 .dat files and 1 status file. The wizard just won't open them.
Also I was able to find Fastwiz.log and it was empty. After the last time I tried it there was no log at all

Edited by justanidiot, 26 October 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#5 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Make sure that the Service Pack level of the New computer matches the Old computer. If the old computer (from where you collected the data) runs Service Pack 2, install Service Pack 2 in the new computer, and then import the data.

Make sure that both the systems (Old and the New computer) have the same version of Migwiz.exe file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users