Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 technophobe

technophobe

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

Hi Guys
I posted this in the HJT log forum along with my HJT log.
My machine was found to be clean / not infected.

So I thought i would try and sort my problem out with your help.

windows xp Home SP2
spybot
Ad-aware
spywareblaster
Zone alarm pro
Antivir personal edition
All up to date
I also did a Bit defender online scan with nothing bad found.
When my pc boots or re- boots everything seems to load down by my clock, but then the PC freezes for 45/60 seconds.
Then it comes to life, and everything I have clicked on during the freeze opens at once.
After that the PC runs fine for the rest of the day.
I just don't know why it freezes for about 60 seconds ???

I thought i would have a look at my event log, It looks very strange and tells me nothing.

Does it look right to you guys.

Attached File  SP32_25102007_001016.jpg   141.97KB   27 downloads

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:16 AM

Well...custom error logs can be created by IE, WMP, and AV (and probably other modules/programs). So I suppose I would find out just what program is generating custom log events...by checking the settings on each.

My guess would be that malware/AV programs should get first shot. The message generated in EV doesn't tell me much other than the possibility that the unnamed module is functioning improperly.

Louis

#3 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Ok thanks Louis.
Lets forget the event log then.
Does anyone know why my PC freezes for approx. 60 seconds on ever boot.

Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

It's probably your 3d-party firewall protecting the system...until the firewall is completely set up.

Mine (Sunbelt) acts that way, always has. Icons show on desktop but cannot be accessed to do anything for about a minute or so, until all the boot activity settles down.

If that's what you're talking about...

To be sure, disable/uninstall your firewall (the XP firewall will do for this short time), invoke the XP firewall, reboot and compare the two.

The XP firewall protects the system, but 3d-party firewalls offer additional levels of protection. My firewall won't let an application run unless I've said it's OK. The XP firewall doesn't have that feature.

Louis

#5 technophobe

technophobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ok thanks Louis I will try that.

Thanks.
Just as a foot not.
I can here everything loading / hard drive working / red light on the tower flashing while things load then it all goes dead silent for about a 60 seconds, this is the freeze.
Then all the loading noises come back red light starts flashing again on the tower and all is well for the rest of the day.
Its almost like it freezes then loads one more thing before everything runs well.
Is this like yours.
I will disable zone alarm and see how it goes.
Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users