Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Has Gone.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geetarlu

Geetarlu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

Hi, please help! I know this may have been asked before, but Its quite late at night/early in the morning, and I'm just stressed out at this computer, lol. Anyway, Explorer will not load at all on my computer, apart from in safe mode, on the administrator account. Its quite an old computer, and I just want to get the files off it, as we bought a new computer becuase of this problem, but all our photos and stuff are on there, so I'm hoping I can get them back.

There is a new volume that we had recently installed, but it cannot be accessed because it is only the desktop image that comes up, you can open task manager, but explorer.exe isnt there, and its the same in safe mode on every account apart from the administartor account. However, I go to click on control panel or my computer in safe mode on Admin, but nothing loads, I can't click them, they are just application symbols. I've serached desperately for a Windows xp disc, but I'm sure it came pre-installed on the computer, and so now I'm doubting that we have one at all, I can't even try that. I just want to get the files from that hard drive onto portable hard drives or onto the new volume, without bringing the obviously corrupt system files, or even better still, fix the corrupt system files, in order to gain access to the files I lost. If i need a Windows xp disc, where can I get one? Any ideas will be really, really, really appreciated, as I know very little about computer diagnostics.

Thankyou so much.

Lucy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geetarlu

Geetarlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

P.S.

I can access the computer managment window from safe mode on Admin by right clicking on 'my computer' and the selecting 'manage', but what can I do from there, if anything?

Lucy

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:20 AM

If you can get the task manager up, press the "New Task" button and type "explorer.exe".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Geetarlu

Geetarlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

I tried that already, but there is 'no program to back it up' apparantly...

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

If I understand your post correctly, it would be far simpler to remove the HDD from the old computer and attach within the new one as a slave drive and just copy the files across, but as you say, it may be the time of day and I may have misunderstood.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 Geetarlu

Geetarlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:16 AM

So if I take out the HDD and put it into another computer, then I will be able to retrieve my files but without the corrupt system files of the old computer? Because I could do that ok, and if it would work then that would be great, lol.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:24 AM

Yes, you will be able to get your files. As Bonneville said, set the old drive as slave and the existing drive in the new computer as master.

There is a how-to guide here.

Also, after you install the drive you may not have access to the files. If this happens you will need to "take ownership" of the files on the old drive.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Edited by Budapest, 27 October 2007 - 12:25 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users